Broyld runs second-team and other observations from Day 7 of training camp

Offense

Syracuse’s 2013 leader in receptions and receiving yards last year, Ashton Broyld, worked with the second-team offense Friday.

But based on the snaps of open practice Friday, Day 7 of training camp, nothing’s changed with Syracuse’s backup quarterback competition. During 11-on-zero snaps, the quarterbacks connected on all their throws, starting with hitting receivers on out patterns to the right and later to the left. Junior Ben Lewis hauled in a pass from Terrel Hunt near the left sideline at the 20-yard line and nearly ran into senior Jarrod West, who was jogging a straight ‘go’ route.

Broyld and freshman wideout Corey Cooper both lined up incorrectly once each before the snap was made.

Offensive line

Offensive line coach Joe Adam turned up the intensity early in Friday’s practice.

With the linemen lining up opposite each other for a drill, Adam walked over to Keaton Darney and angrily told him, “That’s not a fit position!” and told Darney to keep his head higher and hips lower.

When the drill was completed, Adam yelled at the group to increase its pace as the players picked up shields and prepared for the next exercise. There, linemen getting into position underneath a chute and going at the linemen opposite them, driving them backward.

“Go to the whistle!” Adam shouted, when his players started easing up.

Tackle Jon Burton and tight end Josh Parris jawed at each other, getting in each other’s face and slowing down the pace of the drill.

After the 11-on-zero drills, the linemen and tight ends combined to work on blocking technique. While Adam had to instruct raw freshman Denzel Ward — who stands 6 feet, 8 inches and weighs 353 pounds — to get off the ball quicker, tight end’s coach Bobby Acosta appeared to be seeing improvement.

“Good, good. Let’s go,” Acosta said, after watching fullback Clay Cleveland execute the drill.

Quarterbacks

After leading the offense against a phantom defense, the quarterbacks worked on mobility and throwing on the run.

Using the middle of the practice field, Hunt paired with Mitch Kimble and third-stringers Austin Wilson and A.J. Long were matched, as the signal-callers rolled out to both their left and right sides and released throws to each other.