Recruiting

Dual-threat recruit Lindor discusses verbal commitment to Syracuse

West Lindor was set to receive an offer from Harvard. His 4.2 grade point average only needed to be coupled with a 27 on his ACT.

But once Syracuse assistant coach DeAndre Smith reached out to Lindor, he didn’t need to take the standardized test for a third time.

“Syracuse, they are known for academics and athletics,” Lindor said. “Harvard is purely academics.”

On Wednesday night, Lindor, a dual-threat wide receiver and tight end, became the 21st player to verbally commit to the Orange’s Class of 2015. He never officially received an offer from the Crimson, but drew heavy interest along with Brown and Yale. Syracuse and Arkansas State were his only official offers according to Scout.com.

“I have no problem committing without visiting because I know what Syracuse is about,” Lindor said. “…It’s a real expensive school to go to, and all that money, it’s worth something.”

Lindor is listed at 6 feet, 4 inches and 205 pounds by Scout, and will visit Syracuse before starting his senior year at Affton (Mo.) High School in the fall.

Depending on what position he ends up playing, he is both the first wide receiver and tight end to join SU’s Class of 2015.

Lindor was excited to call Smith to let him know of his commitment last night. He’s already gotten messages from other members of the Class of 2015, and said it feels like he’s joined a family.

“I’m just proud,” Lindor said. “Just proud to be a Syracuse recruit.”