Ice Hockey

Syracuse women’s ice hockey team may play in Frozen Dome Classic

Syracuse Crunch owner Howard Dolgon said the team remains in discussions about having the SU women’s ice hockey team participate in the Frozen Dome Classic on Nov. 22. 

“We talked about it on Wednesday. We’d love to be able to have the women play,“ Dolgon said. “… that’s something we wanted for sure.”

The American Hockey League Crunch announced on Wednesday that they will play the Utica Comets in the Carrier Dome’s first-ever hockey game. The event will be preceded by a law-enforcement charity game and followed by a Division-III game featuring Oswego State and Utica College. 

Having the SU women’s team play in the event was brought up in the beginning of the discussions, Dolgon said. Scheduling is the main reason it hasn’t come to fruition yet, he added.

If SU was to have a game at the Dome, Dolgon said it might be played on the night of Friday Nov. 21, which would make it officially the first-ever hockey game at the Dome. 

Said Dolgon: “It’s a matter of them being able to accommodate their schedule with the open dates of the Carrier Dome.”