Commencement 2014

Graduation caps show graduates’ personality, creativity

With graduation around the corner, you most likely have your outfit already picked out and ready to go. But, you probably forgot about one of the most important pieces of your outfit — your cap. How will you end the year: in style or with a statement? Here a few ideas for you to spruce up the simple navy cap to go with your graduation gown.

1. The staggering amount of debt you’ve accumulated throughout college

How much did your education cost? With this cap, you can make your financial misery public on the happiest day of your college career.

2. Shoutouts

Is your mom coming to graduation? Will that cousin from Milwaukee see you walking the stage? Write a greeting on your cap to say hello. It will make their day.

3. The motivation that kept you going

Pay respect to the things that helped you through those 10-page papers and late-night study sessions –– whether it be coffee, beer or Insomnia Cookies.

4. Your resume

Still searching for a gig after graduation? Write your skills, education and work experience on your cap in the off chance that any famous alumni are in attendance.

5. Your own picture

Is your grad cap covering too much of your face? By putting your self-portrait on your head, your parents can discern you from the sea of navy blue gowns.

6. School pride

Love Syracuse? Afraid to let it go? Decorate your cap with orange accessories to pay homage to your soon-to-be alma mater.

7. School ties

Whether you played a club sport since freshman year, rushed greek life as soon as you could or spent hours tucked away in your respective school, wear your affiliations with pride.

8. Where are you going

If you’re lucky enough to have a job lined up or if you’re moving back in with your parents, let the entire assembly know your next destination — from Syracuse to wherever you might find yourself in the near future.

9. Cheesy quote

Cover your cap in the words of Oscar Wilde, Winston Churchill or Lady Gaga to sport the phrase that sums up your college experience the best.

10. Goals

Tell the audience what you want to do next — whether you aim to work for Google, create the next big startup company or just pay off your student loans.