College of Engineering and Computer Science

L.C. Smith dean to step down in December 2014

UPDATED: May 14, 9:01 p.m.

The dean of the L.C. Smith College of Engineering and Computer Science will step down in December, according to a memorandum from Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud.

Laura Steinberg, who has been dean of the college since August 2008, will leave her position in December and take a sabbatical in spring 2015. Steinberg said the decision had been in the works for several weeks, and that she and Syverud discussed it several times. Following her sabbatical, Steinberg will have a university-wide leadership role that will support the chancellor’s initiatives.

“I will be working with her to identify new leadership opportunities in which she can support me and contribute to the strategic priorities of the university,” Syverud said in the memo. One of the areas Syverud said Steinberg would contribute is in veteran initiatives, “where she has great knowledge and research experience.”

During Steinberg’s time as dean, L.C. Smith saw its student body grow by nearly 500 students and launched new interdisciplinary programs in cybersecurity and energy engineering, according to the chancellor’s memo. In addition, Steinberg led a strategic planning process for the college, which created a blueprint for future investment in specific research areas.

Steinberg added that during her time as dean, the college hired more than 30 faculty members with an emphasis on building strength in the college’s six research areas: cybersecurity, cognitive wireless networks, water management, smart materials for medicine and rehabilitative, energy and regenerative engineering.

Ariel DuChene, assistant dean for external relations at L.C. Smith, said faculty and staff within the college were informed of the news Monday morning, prior to Syverud’s memo being sent out.

Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs, said in an email that Provost and Vice Chancellor Eric Spina has indicated to the faculty and staff that he will be meeting with them soon to discuss the future of the college.

Though Steinberg will remain dean until the end of the year, she is confident her replacement will be stepping into a positive situation.

“The next dean will be joining a college with an incredibly strong and dedicated faculty, outstanding students and staff of the highest caliber,” she said.

Steinberg added that the college’s budget is balanced and the new dean will have the financial resources necessary to support initiatives, as well as the support of the alumni and volunteer leadership of the college.

Said Steinberg: “This is a very attractive deanship, and I expect that the college will attract an outstanding and dynamic leader to the position.”