Bromley’s stock rises as NFL Draft approaches

Jay Bromley doesn’t tune out the reports or the draft projections. He knows what the experts think.

He also knows the competition. Bromley constantly watches tape of other defensive tackles, trying to pick up on ways to improve. It’s not a way to change who he is as a player, just a means of adding to his always-evolving repertoire.

“I didn’t have no expectations or nothing,” Bromley said. “I’m not going to work like anybody else is going to work. I’m going to work like Jay Bromley. I’m going to work how Jay Bromley wants to work, when he wants to work.”

Bromley, who finished his Syracuse football career in December, has seen his NFL Draft stock skyrocket in recent months. Though he was initially pegged as a fringe seventh-round pick, a 33.5-inch vertical leap at the NFL Scouting Combine and 4.8-second 40-yard dash at Pro Day have some experts picking him as high as the third or fourth round.

He will have to wait until at least Thursday to hear his named called, though he is more likely to be picked on Day Two or Three of the NFL Draft.

“Bromley, to me, is a guy that’s starting to really come together as a football player,” said ESPN draft expert Mel Kiper Jr., who ranks Bromley as the No. 9 defensive tackle in the class and expects him to go in the third or fourth round.

This year’s crop of defensive tackles is largely subpar, Kiper said, so Bromley has a chance to rise up the draft board. He said that Bromley, who led SU with 10 sacks last season, offers more as a pass rusher than most other defensive tackles in the draft.

Bromley, while flattered by the increased recognition, said that it will do little to settle his nerves come Thursday.

“I know anything can happen in the draft,” Bromley said. “You can fall, you can rise, so I’m just taking that into consideration.

“It’s a blessing to see it on paper to actually get an acknowledgement from someone of his stature, because he usually chooses guys that make something of themselves.”

Bromley is currently in Syracuse, finishing up his last couple final exams before graduation. He’s working out with Assistant Athletics Director for Athletic Performance Will Hicks, as well as former teammates and fellow draft hopefuls Jerome Smith and Marquis Spruill.

“(Bromley’s) always been one that had a little bit to prove because he’s been not sought after until after he’s had to prove himself,” Hicks said. “Other guys get sought after, then have a chance to prove it.”

“Bromley’s had to prove it first.”

Hicks said he’s been working on getting Bromley into football shape, and more specifically his lateral and side-to-side movements. He added that these are areas in which Bromley needs to show improvement for whatever team drafts him.

Bromley will watch the draft in Syracuse with his family. If he is drafted earlier than projections indicate, he’ll enter this weekend’s graduation ceremonies much more lighthearted, he said.

But to graduate and be drafted on the same morning on Sunday would also make for a day to remember, he added, chuckling at the thought.

“To have my family be able to watch me walk across the stage,” Bromley said, “and also know me working toward my dream and my goals are coming true as well. That would be something that’s really remarkable.”

It will be a weekend that determines the next step of Bromley’s life.

But such drastic change is something he’s used to. Bromley was never expected to be one of the top defensive tackles in the draft class, but he’s worked to separate himself.

He’s well aware of his improvements and the change in outside perception they’ve created.

But for Bromley, there’s still more to prove.

“It’s just the process of me working hard and me mentally just always wanting to get better,” Bromley said, “so when I sit back and when I’m in the weight room or when I’m watching film, I want to get better so bad.”

Matt Schneidman, staff writer, contributed reporting to this article