Softball

Watson uses patient approach to power Syracuse past Niagara

Logan Reidsma | Staff Photographer

Jasmine Watson looks up at a ball after a big swing. The senior hit a home run and added another RBI in the Orange's 5-0 win over Niagara.

Just before Jasmine Watson came to bat in the first inning, Corinne Ozanne told her to be disciplined and wait for her pitch.

Ozanne ripped a solo home run to the pine trees in right-center field with two outs. After receiving Ozanne’s advice, Watson clobbered a home run to left field that could only be contained by the netting beyond the outfield wall.

“I was just making sure that I was really selective on the pitches that I chose to hit,” Watson said.

Following the back-to-back homers, Syracuse (21-22, 10-11 Atlantic Coast) cruised to a 5-0 win over Niagara (13-25, 3-9 Metro Atlantic Athletic). Watson finished the day batting 2-for-2 with a double, a walk, two runs scored and two RBIs. Her patient approach at the plate led to an impressive offensive output that sparked SU to victory.

The Orange quickly realized that it would have opportunities offensively. Prior to Ozanne’s at-bat, Nicole Lundstrom – who batted before her – gave a similar tip.

“The only thing she said to me was ‘The first pitch was right there’ so I took that into consideration,” Ozanne said.

Then Ozanne passed the message to Watson that she would have a chance, although maybe not on the first pitch.

On a 3-1 count, Watson got that chance on an inside pitch right in her wheelhouse. Watson, who is the all-time career home runs leader in school history, has thrived on hitting inside pitches.

“It’s amazing to see the power that Jaz has,” SU head coach Leigh Ross said. “The one that went out, she hit off the handle of her bat. It pretty much went off her fists and she has the power to put it out still.”

Syracuse bounced back after getting swept by Florida State last weekend. Heading into the game against Niagara, Watson knew that their pitchers would not be throwing as fast as Florida State’s.

With that in mind, she stayed focused and tried to swing at the right moments.

“I knew they weren’t going to be fast pitching,” Watson said, “and I had a rough weekend at FSU so I was really trying to be disciplined and be selective.”

In the fifth inning, Watson again exemplified her approach by walking on five pitches. Two batters later, Sydney O’Hara doubled to right center and Watson scored from second.

Watson gains confidence by not having to get a hit to contribute offensively. She got on base and her teammates gave her the ability to score.

“It’s really nice to know that we have our teammates to pick us up,” Watson said. “A couple people are struggling right now and it’s big for us like the people that hit today to pick up our team and get the win for them.

“Once somebody gets a big hit, we keep it rolling.”

The Orange, and Watson in particular, was able to stick to the game plan of making the most of each plate appearance.

Executing the blueprint paid off, and it didn’t surprise Ross that Watson went 2-for-2.

“We told the kids, don’t start pushing. Don’t start pushing for hits and don’t make every at bat like your whole season,” Ross said. “Let’s just stick with the plan, good quality at bats, hit the ball hard somewhere and I think we started coming back.”

Despite a rough three-game series in Tallahassee, Watson returned to her dominance offensively against Niagara.

Watson overcame a slight slump with a big game, but it’s nothing new for the senior.

Said Ross: “Business as usual. Jaz has been doing that for us all year.”