Track and Field

Syracuse runners excel at Penn Relays, Big Red Invitational

The Syracuse track and field team competed in two meets last week, traveling to the Penn Relays on Tuesday and the Big Red Invitational on Sunday.

In total, 10 runners set new personal records and five ran to first-place finishes.

At the Big Red Invitational, SU runners Paul Lovell and Molly Malone swept the 800-meter run, both taking home gold in the event. Lovell finished with a personal-best time of 1:54.75, while Malone finished in 2:10.89.

Syracuse also took the top four spots in the 1,500-meter run. Joel Hubbard led the way, running a time of 3:59.88 to take first place. Kevyn Hoyos, Ryan Urie and Andrew Bennison following suit, all within one-tenth of a second of one another.

The Orange continued its dominating performance with Angelica Peck and Brenna Symoniak going one-two in the women’s 3,000-meter steeplechase. The two finished with times of 11:10.62 and 11:14.74, respectively.

Jaquan Holland took the last gold, running to a first-place finish in the 200-meter dash with a time of 21.53 seconds. Clay Austin, Reggie Morton and Darren McCluskey finished fourth, fifth and sixth, respectively.

McCluskey set a personal record in the 200-meter with a time of 22.56 seconds, and also finished fourth in the 110-meter hurdles in a time of 14.59 seconds.

In the women’s 3,000-meter run, Beth Wright ran a personal-best of 10:04.62 and Rebecca Skodis ran personal-best of 10:11.02, finishing third and fourth, respectively.

Sydney Leiher finished in second place in the women’s 1,500-meter run, running a time of 4:33.43. Haley Cutright finished fourth and Bridget Twomey 19th, each setting personal-bests.

At the Penn Relays, Donald Pollitt finished second in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 13.77 seconds. Freddie Crittenden was close behind, running a personal best time of 13.89 seconds to take fourth.

Regine Hunter finished in third place in the triple jump with a distance of 11.99 meters. Reggie Morton came in sixth place in the long jump with a leap of 6.97 meters.

Syracuse’s next meets come this Friday at the Cornell Outdoor Invitational and Sunday at the Payton Jordan Invitational.

– compiled by staff writer Ari Gilberg, [email protected]