Syracuse limits offensive playbook in 34-27 Spring Game win against defense

Chase Gaewski | Managing Editor

Ashton Broyld eludes safety Eric Anthony and heads upfield.

The flashes of the future were interspersed during an afternoon filled with bubble screens.

A 64-yard hook-up from Austin Wilson to Brisly Estime down the middle. A 54-yard completion from Wilson to Ashton Broyld, on a screen. An 18-yard connection from Mitch Kimble to Jeremiah Kobena, who ran all the way across the field before a Kendall Moore comeback block sprung him into the end zone.

As a whole, the offense was just as simple as offensive coordinator George McDonald hinted it would be on Tuesday.

But the glimpses of McDonald’s “full-bore blast” offense were there. And starting quarterback Terrel Hunt said there are plenty more to come.

“There’s a ton of downfield stuff,” Hunt said. “I was a little upset because I didn’t realize we were on TV, so we didn’t want to show everything. I was a little frustrated like, ‘What’s going on?’ But then (McDonald) explained it to me.”

Hunt, McDonald and Co. left the 4,071 Syracuse fans in the Carrier Dome likely wanting to see more from the offense, but did enough to beat the defense 34-27 in Syracuse’s Spring Game on Saturday. Due to a banged-up offensive line, SU head coach Scott Shafer elected for an offense-versus-defense format — with a halftime punting challenge from Riley Dixon —rather than the Team White vs. Team Orange system the team has used in the past.

Hunt finished 12-of-15 for 95 yards, orchestrating three first-half series, while Broyld hauled in eight catches for 126 yards and two touchdowns. The rising sophomore Wilson stole the show, completing all six of his passes for 124 yards and two touchdowns.

“We got a lot of plays. We didn’t want to show the world what we’ve got, yet, because we don’t want anybody trying to steal our stuff,” Broyld said. “Right now we’re just working on the little things. The dinks and dunks, the get-the-first-down type plays. That’s what we’re getting good at.”

There were dinks and dunks aplenty in the first half as the offense took a 17-5 lead into halftime behind a quick toss from freshman quarterback A.J. Long to Broyld on the right side and a well-placed fade from Kimble to Kobena.

Junior kicker Alex Hodgkinson, who was brought on last year following Ryan Norton’s one-game suspension, connected on a 27-yard field goal and both PATs.

After Dixon placed two of his four halftime punts inside the 10-yard line and one inside the 5 to bring the defense within 17-12, the offense stalled out on three straight drives.

The first-down denials, valued at three points each, pushed the defense ahead 21-17.

“I wanted to play more, but it was about just going out there and executing,” Hunt said.

In his place, Long took the first two series and Kimble the third.

Cornerbacks jumped screens. Ron Thompson sacked Long — they played touch for the quarterbacks — and Kimble fared no better.

It wasn’t until Wilson hit Broyld on a 32-yard fly down the right side that the offense was reinvigorated.

Two plays later, Kobena took a bubble screen for the circus touchdown.

“We’re just trying to get the ball in space to our players,” McDonald said. “So if it’s a screen or a down-the-field shot, we’re really just trying to create one-on-one matchups across the field and just let our guys go out and play.”

Estime showcased that best two possessions later, outrunning Julian Whigham on a post for 64 yards. A Hodgkinson 28-yarder finished the scoring for the offense.

In total, McDonald said the unit churned out 79 plays.

The pace was there. The potency is yet to be unveiled.