Letter to the Editor

Students should participate in ‘Get Yourself Tested’ event

“Have you been tested?” is a question often avoided in sexually intimate relationships, particularly among younger people. In fact, this question is so often fraught that one in two young people before the age of 25 will have a sexually transmitted disease. However, we know young people are getting down after dark and let’s face it: this is a college campus. But, young people cannot ignore the risks of spreading STDs or infections. Chlamydia, herpes and human papillomavirus are among the most common STDs and they aren’t going anywhere unless we do something about it.

Every April, Planned Parenthood and MTV partner up to campaign to increase testing rates in young people by encouraging folks to “Get Yourself Tested.” It’s widely suggested that everyone gets tested at least once a year and what better time than now? There are services surrounding you every day and we want to make sure that you know about them. SU Health Services on campus provides STD, STI and HIV counseling and testing. Planned Parenthood is also in our neighborhood and provides a multitude of reproductive health care services. Remember, attending an annual visit with your primary physician or any other physical visit does not automatically mean you will be tested or offered testing; you have to ask.

It’s our hope that one day the question “have you been tested?” will be widely accepted and welcomed as a normative question regarding sexual health. The more we protect ourselves, the more we protect others. Let’s change the discourse on this issue by taking charge of our health and spread the word about GYT. If you’d like to learn more about GYT and what you can do to be a part of this movement, we are hosting a workshop April 8 at 7 p.m. in Hall of Languages Room 114. For more information about Planned Parenthood, please visit www.plannedparenthood.org.

Students Advocating Sexual Safety and Empowerment

Executive Board 2013-14