Track and Field

Sophomore distance runner Malone follows path of senior Pagano

Margo Malone has tried to utilize her older teammate, Sarah Pagano, in every possible way this season. On and off the track, Malone has learned so much simply by being with Pagano.

“I just like spending time with Sarah,” Malone said. “She’s a great racer and even better person. It’s only natural that those special qualities have started to become more noticeable in me.”

Malone has undergone a lot of development and emerged as a top-tier distance runner, in part due to the leadership and guidance of Pagano.

This past weekend at the Atlantic Coast Conference Outdoor Championship meet, Malone finished in third place twice with two different personal records. The sophomore ran the 5,000-meter in a time of 16:18.53 and also recorded a 33:15.02 in the 10,000-meter race.

Pagano, a redshirt senior, ran her own personal best in the 10,000-meter race — 33:42:14 — for a sixth-place finish at the ACC meet. She holds the school record in the outdoor 5,000-meter race as well, which she set by running a time of 15:48.87 at the Stanford Invitational. Pagano’s skill and experience on the track has been a tremendous asset to the team, especially Malone.

“Sarah’s such a great example with her work ethic and her approach emotionally to the sport,” said head coach Chris Fox. “Margo is a whole different runner than she was six months ago, which is all credited to Sarah.”

The two have become close, something that has paid dividends for the Orange. Pagano and Malone have developed a bond that is evident on the track.

Malone believes the relationship has made her more comfortable and confident on the track, which in turn has translated to faster times.

“I love when we are together running the same event,” said Malone. “During the 10k this weekend, Sarah looked back to make sure I was there and just being next to her was very comforting and relaxing.

“We definitely push each other when we’re in the same race.”

The change in Malone is apparent. Fox knows that this season, SU has a more humble, confident and tough racer. Malone has shaved almost a whole minute off of her 5,000-meter time from last season and is constantly improving.

She has already set three personal bests this season and still has a few meets left to keep progressing.

While self-improvement is always the goal of every racer, Malone has taken on her role model’s attitude. She is absolutely determined to not let any obstacles get in her way.

“I often find myself thinking to myself, I can push through this,” said Malone. “I’m capable of this. I can be as strong as Sarah.”

Pagano has run tremendously this season, setting a school record and recording two personal bests.

Although the fifth-year senior is finishing up her final season for the Orange, she is more than confident that the program will be more than OK upon her departure with Malone leading the way.

“If Margo continues to race as she does, and keeps improving like she has over this past year,” said Pagano, “the distance team has found itself a real star.”