Seven different players score for Syracuse in 10-8 win over Binghamton

Spencer Bodian | Staff Photographer

Seven different players scored Syracuse's first seven goals Wednesday in the Orange's 10-8 win over Binghamton.

Proving just how deep and balanced the Syracuse attack is, seven different players scored the team’s first seven goals.

When the game ended, no Syracuse (6-3, 1-3 Atlantic Coast) player had scored more than two goals in the Orange’s 10-8 victory over Binghamton (3-6, 1-0 America East) on Wednesday.

“That’s the way we like to play, the ball doesn’t really get stuck on anybody’s stick for too long,” Syracuse head coach John Desko said. “We share it and we kind of take what they give us. The way we run the offense, teams have to slide. And sometimes different players get the short sticks, which we try to take advantage of.”

Three of the first seven goals were scored by the second-line midfield — with one each from Randy Staats, Billy Ward and Nicky Galasso. Two came from the first-line attack — Dylan Donahue and Kevin Rice— and two came from the first-line midfield of Hakeem Lecky and Scott Loy.

Seven different players scored SU’s 10 total goals, with Rice, Staats and Donahue each netting two.

“That’s how our offense always is,” Loy said. “We’re very unselfish and we like to share the ball. Whoever’s open is going to shoot.”

Of Syracuse’s 31 shots, 13 came from the second-line midfield – the most of any Syracuse group. Staats and Ward tied for the team lead with six shots apiece, and Galasso scored on his only attempt.

The first-line attack unit of Rice, Donahue and Derek Maltz and the first-line midfield of Lecky, Loy and Henry Schoonmaker each had nine shots.

Said Desko: “I think some of the other games the attack will score more and in other games the middies will score more due to the type of defense we’re seeing in individual play.”