No. 7 Syracuse wins 99th game of historic rivalry with No. 6 Cornell

ITHACA, N.Y. — There was no rain or snow on Tuesday night, just temperatures in the 40s and lacrosse indicative of an in-state rivalry dating back to 1920.

No. 7 Syracuse (7-3, 1-3, Atlantic Coast) won the 99th game of its all-time series with No. 6 Cornell (9-2, 3-1 Ivy League), 14-9 in front of 2,690 fans at Schoellkopf Field. The crowd, which only partially filled the arching grandstand behind the team benches, was loud for both the Orange and Big Red and was treated to another chapter of Central New York’s premier matchup.

“The last time we played on this field they kind of embarrassed us,” junior goalie Bobby Wardwell said. “It’s always a big game when we come in here and it’s a great stadium and great atmosphere.

“You can always hear their fans and tonight you could hear our fans, too.”

When Wardwell was a freshman, the Orange traveled to Schoellkopf and lost 12-6. Then last year, SU bounced back with a 13-12 win on its home turf.

Tuesday’s game held two teams trying to land the next punch, and Syracuse pulled away in the second half while a small crowd dotted by orange shirts let out three “We Are SU” chants after each goal.

The teams have met every year since 1979, and Syracuse registered double-digit goals in 26 of the last 29 meetings. Randy Staats played in the rivalry for the first time, but his five goals helped the Orange climb into double figures once again while securing an emotional win.

“I’m new to it, but it’s definitely very good,” Staats said. “It was good coming in here for the first time for me, and being a part of this experience and pulling out a big win like that.”