city

Miner releases budget proposal for 2014-2015

Syracuse Mayor Stephanie Miner on Tuesday released her roughly $660 million budget for the 2014–15 fiscal year, showing intent to cut costs and keep tax rates steady while adding employees to public safety departments and sustaining benefits for retirees.

The budget will go before the Syracuse Common Council for debate and proposals in the coming weeks, said Syracuse Common Councilor Bob Dougherty. He added that a budget vote would probably take place in June, followed by Miner’s veto or acceptance, before it becomes official July 1.

Miner’s proposed plan reflects a desire to improve the city’s services despite limited resources, said councilor-at-large Pamela Hunter.

“It’s finding a way to reduce costs and expenses without raising taxes,” Hunter said. “We’re doing more with less.”

Miner announced Monday that part of her budget plan would include funding for new police and fire department classes for the first time since 2011. The budget would allot money for 25 police officers and 25 firefighters, according to the mayor’s office.

Many officers and firefighters have retired, departed or reached retirement age in recent years, Hunter said. As the city pays veteran employees more than they would new officers, the proposal would allow the city to cut costs while adding officers, Hunter said.

With so few officers and firefighters, it has forced many current employees to work significant overtime hours, Dougherty said. Dougherty added that the council has almost unanimously supported additional staff for the departments in recent years.

“You can’t work around the clock,” Dougherty said.

Dougherty added that the new class of police officers “probably won’t be ready for about a year.”

Alexander Marion, Miner’s press secretary, did not immediately return a call about the budget.

Syracuse University Department of Public Safety Chief Tony Callisto said DPS has a significant working relationship with both the Syracuse police and fire departments.  The Syracuse Police Department handles investigation of violent, felony crimes on or near campus and works closely with DPS after first response, he said.

He added that the Syracuse Fire Department responds to fire alarms on campus. Both agencies work with DPS to handle crowds, traffic and general safety concerns at major on-campus events.

“The availability and the presence of Syracuse police officers on and around the campus is a pretty important part of the overall public safety functions we are able to provide our students,” Callisto said.

Callisto had heard “anecdotally” that the departments hadn’t replaced lost staff in recent years. SPD last certified a class of 34 new officers in 2011.

But Callisto stressed that, despite the losses, personnel from both departments have responded quickly to DPS requests and on-campus incidents.

Other aspects of Miner’s 2014–15 budget:

• The budget would include $1 million in funding for Say Yes to Education. The sum is similar to previous years, Dougherty said.
  • Tax, water and sewer rates would not increase.
  • The Greater Syracuse Property Development Corp. would receive $1.5 million in city funding. Overall, it would continue to gain funding since its inception.
  • Active employee and retiree healthcare would increase. Costs for retirees would be $3.4 million more than active employees.
  • The city would contribute $50,000 to expand the Literacy Coalition of Onondaga County program.
  • State aid from Aid and Incentives for Municipalities (AIM) would remain steady at $71.8 million.
  • The Syracuse City School District would receive funding for 450 additional slots for full-day pre-kindergarten.