Meet Monday

Meet Monday: Jeff Kurkjian

Genevieve Pilch | Staff Photographer

Jeff Kurkjian, a junior broadcast and digital journalism and political science dual major, is one of the founding members of Otto Tunes. The a capella group was originally called "The Mount Men" when it formed in 2011.

Jeff Kurkjian loves being on stage. And, as President of Otto Tunes, he finds himself there quite frequently.

“Performing has always been a passion for me,” said the junior broadcast and digital journalism and political science dual major.

Kurkjian is one of the founding members of Otto Tunes, an all-male a capella group at Syracuse University. He created the group his first semester on campus. The group originally called themselves ‘The Mount Men,” since the group members all had roots in Flint and Day Halls in the Fall of 2011.

Kurkjian said he knew he wanted to pursue a career in journalism, but also felt his interest in performing and music needed to be fulfilled.

With Kurkjian assuming the role of leader and president, Otto Tunes grew from four friends singing together on the Mount to placing the highest among all of the Syracuse a capella groups at the International Competition for Collegiate A Cappella in March.

“The hardest part for us was establishing our ‘thing.’ We really wanted to become the group that everybody on campus wanted to hear sing,” he said. “We reached out constantly in the beginning, performing anywhere we could.”

The hard work paid off. Otto Tunes now has more than 2,600 Facebook likes and is requested to perform at several events each week.

Kurkjian said he credits Otto Tunes’ widespread popularity to the diversity of its members, who all have different activities, majors, interests and connections.

“When I began my presidency, I told myself the goal was to get to where we don’t have to ask to be a part of someone’s event,” he said. “Today, we get upwards of three or four performance requests a day. My goal really has been to get us to where we are.”

Otto Tunes has gone on tour in Washington, D.C. and New York City, performed at schools, hospitals, church services and nursing homes, and did so all while finding time to release its first album in November 2013, titled “Opening Pitch.”

Said Kurkjian: “Otto Tunes has been an incredible experience, to be able to make something out of nothing. I know that this group is in it for the long haul. I cannot wait to come back for the 10-year Otto Tunes reunion.”