Jamaican me hungry: Jamerican Diner serves up comforting island dishes in happy, welcoming atmosphere

Strong-flavored foods can be comforting too, and my trip to Jamerican Diner proved just that.

I drive past this diner all the time on East Washington Street and have always wanted to try it. The diner’s name itself sounds like a place full of comforting food, with both a Jamaican feel and typical American dining touches. The restaurant proved to be just that.

When I walked in, I was first greeted with smiles and friendly vibes from the woman running the whole dining room. There were two other groups of people that came in around the same time, who seemed like regulars. But the host or waiter treated us like we were regulars too, or at least as longtime friends who finally visited; it was nice and comforting. I hoped the food would feel the same.

I also noticed the small dining room’s design, decked out with Caribbean colors and flair. There was a small fish tank at the front corner of the dining room by the entrance, which reminded me of my childhood home.

In the dining room, mirrors on the wall were grouped together to form a diamond shape, a useful tool for looking at areas of the room without turning your head. The walls were painted in the colors of the Jamaican flag.

The menu didn’t look too overwhelming with long lists of food, which my need-for-comfort food mood totally appreciated. I love beef patties, so I had to have those, which were only $2 each. I decided to try two entrees: jerk chicken for $9 and the curry goat for $11.

Their beef patties were delicious, but be careful — the hot steam can burn your mouth before you even set your lips on it. It was like eating a Hot Pocket, with steam escaping from the pocket. The beef patty is similar, but the only difference is inside is delicious ground beef heavily seasoned and drowned in savory gravy sauce. The dough pouch covering the beef was sweet yellow dough that appeared to be fried.

My jerk chicken entree was a chicken thigh that had heavily seasoned skin. It appeared to be baked, and the thigh was tender, dark meat. On the side were two slices of fried plantains, boiled chopped cabbage and a generous pile of yellow rice. Everything on the plate had the feel of a home-style meal. I fixed each bite with all four elements, which complemented each other well.

The next thing I tried was the curry goat. When you first look at it, it looks like beef stew served over rice. The huge chunks of potatoes, carrots, onions and peppers surrounding the goat meat gave the dish a sense of coziness.

The curry was strong, but not overpowering. A bite of potato or carrot or rice, together with the meat, created a combination of elements that made up a well-balanced dish.

While eating, I washed down my meal with a sweet Sorrel Ginger soda. The sugary soda offset its slightly pungent ginger, which created a flavor that was unusual, interesting and made me want to take home the bottle as a souvenir.

Jamerican Diner lived up to its name as a spot for Jamaican and American comfort foods, and is a nice spot for your usual Wednesday night dish or a place to try something new.