Human Library event pairs diverse participants

Tiffany Gomez | Contributing Photographer

Neal Powless, assistant director of the native student program at SU, tells his story during Wednesday's Human Library event.

When people go to the library, they typically check out books.

But at the Human Library, participants “checked out” other people, interacting to better understand one another.

The Human Library event was held in the E.S. Bird Library at Syracuse University on Wednesday from 3–6 p.m. Participants engaged in conversation with people they might not otherwise encounter.

“By sharing their stories and learning from one another, we hope to challenge stereotypical ways of thinking and celebrate diversity,” Pamela McLaughlin, director of library communications, said in an email.

This year’s Human Library event theme was cultural diversity. Several high schools and colleges around the Syracuse area are holding this event in April to honor National Library Week, which starts on April 13.

“Our human books come from a variety of cultural backgrounds, areas of expertise, and life experiences, as will those who participate as ‘readers,’” McLaughlin said.

SU’s Human Library event covered abuse, Onondaga culture and self-discovery.  One person would act as the “book,” and another would “read.” The book and the reader introduced themselves and moved to an area for a conversation, which lasted approximately 20 minutes.

The first known Human Library event was held in Copenhagen, Denmark in 2000, according to its official website. Neyda Gilman, a librarian at Bird, said the program started as an effort to advocate against violence and break down cultural barriers.

Human Library events have taken place in schools, libraries and other institutions. The Central New York Library Resources Council helped coordinate the event, according to an event flier.

Tarida Anantachai, another librarian, acted as a human book, titled “Searching for Stories of My Asian-American Self.”  She said she thought participating in this event would be interesting and would allow her to connect with a variety of people.

“People will learn about a culture they wouldn’t normally relate to,” she said.

Anantachai talked about her life growing up and how she tried to mimic Asian characters in the books she read.

“When I was growing up, I read a lot of books and watched a lot of movies,” she said. “I would subconsciously latch on to characters and their traits.”

Jill Ouikahilo, communications director for Student Affairs, was also a human book at the event. Her story, “When Your Heart Speaks,” focused on her trip to India and spiritual aspects of life. Ouikahilo said she wanted to share her story with people to emphasize the importance of following their instincts and overcoming boundaries of diversity.

Said Ouikahilo: “One of the greatest lessons I learned is that you should never be attached to expectations. If you let go of expectations, life will manifest itself.”