Track and Field

Hehir wins Syracuse’s 1st-ever ACC Individual Championship as SU excels overall

The Syracuse track and field team compiled quite a few excellent performances this weekend and ran really well as a team overall.

The team went down to Chapel Hill, N.C. to compete in its first-ever Atlantic Coast Conference Outdoor Championship from April 17 to April 19. SU performed well in all facets.

Martin Hehir won Syracuse its very first ACC Individual Championship by setting a school record of 29:10.12 in the 10,000-meter event on Friday.

The team also had four other runners place in the 10,000-meter run, with Reed Kamyszek, Dan Lennon, Kevyn Hoyos and Andrew Palmer placing 4th, 6th, 15th and 18th, respectively.

Margo Malone and Sarah Pagano turned in outstanding performances of their own in the women’s 10,000-meter run. Malone’s time of 33:15.02 was good enough to secure a 3rd-place finish, while Pagano recorded a personal best of 33:42.14 to finish 6th.

Reggie Morton also set a personal record by jumping 7.26 meters in the men’s long jump.

The jump was .25 meters better than Morton’s previous personal record.

Day two of action was highlighted by MJ Erb running a time of 8:51.86, good enough for second place in the men’s 3,000-meter steeplechase. Joe Whelan placed 5th for the Orange with a time of 8:59.29.

The women’s version of the 3,000-meter steeplechase event also included two Top 10 finishers, with Sydney Leiher running a time of 10:35.93 to take seventh place while Brenna Symoniak finished directly behind her with a time of 10:44.78.

On April 19, on the third day of action, Donald Pollitt and Freddie Crittenden finished first and second in the 110-meter hurdles. Pollitt’s 13.81-second time was a good enough time to win while Crittenden ran a 13.94 to capture second place.

Amadou Gueye and Darren McCluskey also scored for SU in the 110-meter hurdles, taking fourth place and seventh place, respectively.

Hehir continued his recent dominance on the track by running a time of 14:01.82 in the 5,000-meter run. Hehir captured a title on Thursday and ran yet another solid race to continue his trend of success.

The women’s 5,000-meter race also featured two Syracuse racers finishing within the Top 10.

Malone had a third-place finish with a personal-record time of 16:18.53. Jessie Petersen also ran well, recording a seventh-place finish in 16:30.05.

Shaina Harrison finished second with a personal-record time of 11.64 seconds. Sabrina Cammock placed eighth, running the dash in 11.98 seconds.

Both the men’s and women’s 4×100-meter relay teams finished in fourth place in their races over the weekend.

Syracuse looks to build off the stellar weekend as it next takes the track from Tuesday April 22nd to Saturday April 26th at the Penn Relays.

– compiled by contributing writer Liam Sullivan, [email protected]