College of Arts and Sciences

Chair of the department of chemistry to serve as interim dean of College of Arts and Sciences

Karin Ruhlandt, chair of the department of chemistry, was named the interim dean designate for the College of Arts and Sciences on Monday.

Syracuse University Vice Chancellor and Provost Eric Spina named Ruhlandt to the position. Spina said he chose Ruhlandt last week, but he held off the announcement because of Chancellor Kent Syverud’s inauguration.

George Langford, current dean of Arts and Sciences, announced on Dec. 11 that he would resign from his position on June 30 to return to teaching. Ruhlandt will assume her position on July 1.

Spina said “quite a few” people were considered for the position, but he didn’t specify the exact number of people nominated. Ruhlandt is very respected throughout Arts and Sciences and SU, he said.

“She got a considerable number of nominations from her colleagues in the college,” he said. “She’s a distinguished professor. We don’t have a lot of distinguished professors, so she has shown over an extended period of time very strong qualifications.”

Ruhlandt is dedicated to her research and all of her students, Spina said, adding that she has worked internationally and has worked to increase the number of female faculty members in science, technology, engineering and mathematics disciplines.

Ramesh Raina, the head of the Arts and Sciences Faculty Council and chair of the department of biology, echoed similar sentiments about Ruhlandt.

“She’s a good scientist and she cares about teaching, she cares about research,” he said. “Hopefully she’ll be able to promote these two major agenda items.”

Ruhlandt could not be reached for comment on her appointment.

Spina said he sent emails out to the Arts and Sciences faculty and staff to ask them for nominations for the interim dean around Spring Break. They had about a week to nominate someone and give reasons why, he said.

Once he received the nominations, he said he spoke with some members of the Faculty Council and other faculty members to get their perspectives on the nominees. Spina said he also talked to Syverud throughout the process and he is supportive of Ruhlandt’s appointment.

The college is still working to choose a long-term dean. Spina said the Arts and Sciences faculty voted on their representatives for the dean search committee late last week. Spina, Syverud and the Arts and Sciences Faculty Council are currently setting up a meeting to choose the committee members, Spina said. He added he thinks they will finalize the full committee within a couple of weeks.