Columnists

Zukin: Students should take preemptive measures to ensure their sexual health

Just last week, Instagram was flooded with pictures of bikinis, booze and blue skies.

College students took the month of March to let loose and raise hell in beach destinations nationwide. What starts as casual day drinking usually turns into a few rounds of body shots at Señor Frog’s and then results in an unexpected hook-up with a local hottie.

Take pictures, buy souvenirs and get a tattoo. But bringing home a sexually transmitted disease from spring break is not recommended.

College spring breakers generally consume about 10 alcoholic beverages per day. Horny young adults who are scantily clad in bikinis and swim trunks are generally not going to abstain, especially on spring break when they are hammered.

It should be no surprise that almost half of spring break hook-ups are unplanned. And half of the sex had is unprotected — the biggest no-no of them all.

A week before spring break, the University of Virginia held a “Condom Olympics.” The event encouraged students to learn more about proper condom use, birth control and STD prevention. There were booths and games that offered free condoms, lube and online coupons.

It may seem relatively elementary, but one in four college students has an STD. And although there is a wealth of information about risks, only 54 percent of students report using condoms during intercourse. The problem is not the schools, but the students: many campuses are proactive about offering free condoms and sexual education courses.

All that said, students should be more preemptive in regard to their sexual health. Going in for routine screenings is smart because 80 percent of people who have an STD reported no noticeable symptoms. Without symptoms, there is not a pressing urge to get something checked out which means the infection will spread and worsen.

In another study conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, out of 838 girls randomly tested for STDs, 150 girls had HPV, 33 had chlamydia, 20 had trichomoniasis and 16 had herpes. Aside from being concerned with your own health, it is good to be aware of your sexual standing so other people are not unknowingly infected. Students need to remember that not all symptoms are visible. Most are not.

The most obvious way to prevent the spread of STDs is by carrying condoms. In this case, I think that women should take some responsibility. Having condoms in your possession will never lead to an unwanted disease. By carrying them around, there is no excuse not to use one if a boy claims that he does not have any on him.

Before breaking out the rubber, check the expiration date. Most condoms have a shelf life of four years, but that is if they are kept in a cool, dry place. Condoms are the only contraception that can prevent the spreading of STDs, and if you are not one hundred percent sure about your partner’s sexual history, it is also the safest bet.

If the CDC estimates that 19 million new STDs occur every year, almost half of which among 15–24 year olds, there is no reason to leave this on the back burner. We are in the prime of our lives — our tolerances will never be higher and our bodies will never be in better shape.

Not only is it risky not to use a condom, or lazy not to get tested, but it is also a total setback to your personal health. Don’t fall for some random guy telling you that it will be “so much better” for him if you forego the latex, because I am pretty sure that herpes does not feel good for any parties involved.