Sex and Health

Zukin: Rethinking shower routines reduces carbon footprint

This column is going to make me sound dirty.

No, not sexy dirty — more like the hippie-dippy, grimy kind of dirty. And that’s because “cleansing reduction” is a new trend that encourages bathing or showering only a couple of times per week.

Yes, this sounds unhygienic at first, but too much cleansing can strip the skin and hair of essential natural oils. The United States is hyperaware about the whole concept of cleanliness; in Europe, foregoing showering for a few days is much more commonplace.

Shampooing less helps hair follicles retain moisture and enhance shape. Showering too frequently can also dry out skin and make it prone to flare-ups. Aside from removing lipids and oils, showering also eradicates some good bacteria that help maintain a healthy balance of skin. Although they sound dirty, dead skin cells actually protect against unwanted germs.

However, it is difficult to find accurate statistics in regard to Americans’ showering patterns, because people can be hesitant about answering. Personally, I shower a few times a week — at most every other day, but never every day. My friends often make fun of me, but I stand my ground.

I still get invited places, at least.

My free time is few and far between, so when I finally have five minutes to myself, my first thought is not “shower time.” Instead, it is typically “Netflix time” or “bedtime.”

Especially in a dry, wintery climate like ours, it is important to retain skin’s natural lubricants. Instead of caking on moisturizers with different chemicals, just skip a shower once in awhile and let your body do the moisturizing.

Also, in regards to hair: dry shampoo works wonders. Sales of dry shampoo have also skyrocketed, doubling between 2007–09, according to a 2010 New York Times article. Dry shampoo essentially does the same thing as regular shampoo: it soaks up excess oil.

An active person can benefit from using dry shampoo. Instead of showering multiple times per day because of going to the gym and running errands, just spray in some dry shampoo and the grease will be gone.

Aside from personal benefits that come with it, showering less helps the environment because a person then uses less water and energy. This eventually reduces a person’s carbon footprint that in turn helps the fight against global warming.

There is no scientific proof to back me up on this, but I also think that the water quality at Syracuse University is harsh. Ever since coming to college, my hair has been brittle and almost all the ends are split. I have used the same shampoo and conditioner and am showering the same frequency, so I am looking at the water as the problem. This could be a total placebo effect, but it has driven me away from the showers.

Instead of being obsessive about showering, people should instead be more focused on washing their hands. We are constantly touching food, keyboards, phones, doorknobs — surfaces that are covered with bacteria and viruses. Dorm rooms are practically breeding grounds for illnesses.

Showering intermittently is also the farthest thing from social suicide. Students should not fear their peers’ opinions because in reality, you will shower eventually.

Obviously if you experience a ratchet night, a shower is in your best interest. But if your activity level is low to moderate and you are not putting off a revolting odor, then cut your body a break and go au natural for a few days.

Those Coachella hipster girls you are reblogging and idealizing? Yeah, they do not shower. In fact, Coachella doesn’t even have easy access showers. So just embrace the dirty lifestyle; beanies were invented for a reason and nobody will suspect any foul play, especially in this arctic tundra.

Meg Zukin is a freshman television, radio and film major. Her column appears every Wednesday in Pulp. Email her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @margaretTZukin.