USBWA names Fair to All-America 2nd team

Syracuse forward C.J. Fair, who was named a first-team All-Atlantic Coast Conference selection on Monday, was voted a second-team All-American by the United States Basketball Writers Association on Wednesday.

The senior is joined by former Brewster (Mass.) Academy teammate and current Iowa State forward Melvin Ejim on the team, as well as Cincinnati guard Sean Kilpatrick, Wichita State forward Cleanthony Early and Kansas forward Andrew Wiggins, on the second team.

Arizona guard Nick Johnson, Connecticut guard Shabazz Napier, Louisville guard Russ Smith, Duke forward Jabari Parker and Creighton forward Doug McDermott make up the United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) first team. The USBWA does not name a third team.

Fair’s selection to the USBWA All-American team comes just two days after being left off any of Sporting News’ three All-America teams. Three other ACC players, including Parker, were named to those teams. North Carolina State forward T.J. Warren and North Carolina guard Marcus Paige were the two others. Both also joined Fair on the All-ACC first team.

Fair’s 16.9 points per game ranked seventh in the ACC — but outside the top 100 nationally — and his 6.2 rebounds were tied for 16th most in the conference.

The small forward is also one of 10 finalists for the Senior CLASS Award, which earns him recognition as a Senior All-American.

The Associated Press and the National Association of Basketball Coaches will announce their All-American teams in the coming weeks.