Editorial Board

Security at SU requires more officers on patrol

Syracuse University’s security system needs a revamp — either with better locks or more officers on patrol.

Faculty members and professors have been victims of burglary on multiple occasions this semester. In February, there were at least 18 attempted break-ins on the third floor of Newhouse II, along with eight other academic buildings that were burglarized, including Huntington Hall, the College of Law and Crouse College.

On Feb. 15, the Department of Public Safety arrested two people and found them with two stolen laptops. The two were later charged with third-degree burglary and fourth-degree grand larceny. Officers charged one of the thieves with misdemeanor possession of burglar’s tools, after finding two flathead screwdrivers on him.

On Feb. 11 DPS associate chief John Sardino said SU was looking to install an electronic lock system on all classroom doors on campus — around 900 locks in total. These locks should also be added onto office doors and on entrances.

Locks can be a serious investment, and should be of the highest quality. If burglars in the past were able to break into buildings by using household items such as screwdrivers, the new locks installed must be strong enough to withstand all burglary tools. If they’re not, it defeats the entire purpose of installing so many locks, which could be a large expense.

SU should also consider putting money toward more patrol officers. Campus building officials have requested more security cameras in response to the thefts, but equipment and installation tend to be very expensive.

While cameras and locks are helpful to prevent crimes, ultimately it is officers that make the biggest difference. While surveillance footage helped a DPS officer recognize the two thieves arrested on Feb. 15, it was the efforts of the DPS sergeant on patrol that resulted in the arrest.

Surveillance cameras are an effective tool for retroactive crime prevention and are helpful for solving crimes, but with more than 500 cameras on campus already, it’s clear that cameras don’t prevent crimes. Instead, more resources should be focused on improving the amount of officers on patrol, as they can proactively deter and prevent crimes.