Technology

Knighton: Samsung changes TV industry with curved sets, 4K resolution

Samsung is ahead of the curve in more ways than one.

At its product unveiling last Thursday, the company revealed its first ultra HD (UHD) curved TV display. These rounded screens have 4K resolution — four times the resolution of current HD TVs — and will be available in various sizes this year.

Samsung isn’t alone when it comes to TV’s new shape. When television manufacturers revealed their 2014 models at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, many companies had already planned to release a curved display at some point this year. In an area where design has been stagnant since the transition to flat screens, we are once again on the brink of a game-changer.

There is no doubt that the design is eye-catching and will attract people to test out the new style. Normal flat screens make the center of the picture seem larger while the curved display gives the viewer a more theatrical effect. Even with its curved design, users can still mount the TV on walls to complete their home theater.

“Makes you feel like you are part of the action,” said Dave Das, Samsung’s vice president of home entertainment marketing in a March 21 USA Today article.

The price however, still leaves a lot to be desired. The U9000 series of Samsung’s curved LCD TVs is offered in three sizes (55’, 65’, 78’) and ranges from $3,999.99 to $7,999.99, as listed on Samsung’s website. Samsung’s prized jewel, the 105-inch curved panel, won’t be available until later this year.

Like when the flat screen TV’s first came out, only the super wealthy will have their hands on these large curved screens until the price is dropped. I’ll give it until Black Friday.

It’s hard to imagine a screen four times as clear as the high definition technology we already have. If you were wondering, all non-UHD video will automatically be converted to 4K resolution using built-in technology. It’ll be interesting to see how much of a difference we’ll be able to notice on the UHD picture quality.

These theater-like displays are a godsend to 3D moviemakers. The U9000 series comes equipped with an Auto Depth Enhancer that can automatically adjust contrast for a greater sense of depth. It’s almost like 3D without the glasses.

It’s still in its early stages, but I have a feeling curved TVs could eventually overtake flat screens in the television market. Whether there are practical advantages or not, curved TVs will be highly coveted soon simply because it represents luxury.

Its success will largely depend on two things: jealousy and the male ego.

TVs fall into the same category as cars. There’s a sense of dignity in having the nicest, largest and flashiest one. When men invite their buddies over on Football Sunday, they want something they can flaunt and be proud of. After you see one friend with one, the countdown begins for you to purchase your own or be left behind.

One thing is for sure: Samsung knows hardware.  They’ve pioneered us from big-bodied television sets, to thick flat screens, to ultra thin flat screens and now to the curved TV. More importantly, people will flock to this design simply because it’s the flashy new toy in a television market that is desperate for change. The transition won’t happen overnight or even within this first year, but the takeover is coming.

The curved design is bringing sexy back to TVs.

Aarick Knighton is a sophomore Information Management and Technology major. His column appears weekly. He can be reached at [email protected]