Ice Hockey

Piacentini’s hot streak continues with 2 goals in win over Lindenwood

Melissa Piacentini’s torrid scoring pace continued in Syracuse’s series-clinching victory on Saturday.

Piacentini netted two goals for Syracuse (20-13-3, 9-8-3 College Hockey America), which beat Lindenwood (5-26-3, 5-13-2) 6-0  to advance to the CHA Semifinals against Mercyhurst next weekend in Erie, Pa.

She led Syracuse with 15 regular-season goals, and rose to the occasion in her fourth career playoff game by scoring her 16th and 17th tallies of the year.

“She generates a lot of scoring opportunities,” SU head coach Paul Flanagan said, “And for a smaller player she does a great job for us along the walls.”

The assist on her first goal of the afternoon came on an incredible, no-look pass across the ice from senior forward Margot Scharfe that made her job rather easy.

“I still don’t know how she saw me,” Piacentini said, “It was incredible. She made a beautiful pass and all I had to do was tap it in.”

Flanagan dubbed Piacentini, “Ms. Consistency,” after the game when reflecting on her immense contributions to the team throughout the season and into the playoffs.

With 17 goals through 36 games, Piacentini now sits second in program history for goals scored in a season. And she will have to put in three goals next weekend if she wants to unseat current record holder Isabel Menard, who netted 19 goals in 2010-2011.

Piacentini stands at 5 feet, 2 inches, and Flanagan acknowledged that despite her height, she has excelled against vertically superior opponents.

Even with her head coach’s praise of consistency after the contest, Piacentini’s two goals on Saturday were the first for her in six games, since Feb. 7 at Robert Morris.

She admitted that her scoring drought may have crossed her mind over the last three weeks, and especially as her team moves deeper into the intense, win-or-go-home playoff format.

Because after leading her team in goals during the regular season, it was hard not to put pressure on herself to succeed for her teammates in the most important games of the year.

“I think I’ve put a little pressure, maybe too much, on myself,” Piacentini said. “But to get these two wins is relieving for now, but the pressure is back on next week.”

If she is putting pressure on herself, it’s not evident to her teammates. Her poise and levelheaded approach to the game punctuate her style of play and rub off on the rest of the Orange.

Her teammates who have seen her grow as a player from last year have had a firsthand look at her transformation into a top-flight scorer.

“She’s a type of player that no (amount of) pressure phases her,” said junior forward Julie Knerr. “So it helps us to see that we could play like that and perform at the high level she’s at.”

As much as she enjoys her own personal success, Piacentini will be the first to credit her line and her teammates.

But without a doubt, Piacentini is enjoying her successes with her team as she tries to guide SU closer to a conference championship.

“Playoffs are a whole different animal to the game,” Piacentini said, “and you just have to relish it.”