Tennis

Freshman Messineo uses local roots to mesh with SU program

When Olivia Messineo was young, she danced and played tennis. Her mother asked her to pick one.

She had to choose between holding a racquet and twirling on the dance floor.

Messineo stuck to the sport that she had loved since hitting tennis balls across the living room. And over the last few years, she has taken that passion and has done everything she can to succeed.

“The last four years have been pretty intense, and I’ve seen a lot of change,” she said. “I still have ways to go, but it’s definitely a road that I’m willing to take.”

Messineo’s passion for tennis brought her to Syracuse, a few miles from her home in Fayetteville, N.Y. She grew up enamored with the school, and made sure that she would continue her career here.

The freshman wanted to utilize every opportunity available to get to SU. She used Drumlins Tennis Club — where the Orange plays its home matches — to train with her coaches and hitting partners, and had the opportunity to watch many Syracuse home matches in person.

Messineo’s hasn’t seen much of the court this season, but Syracuse interim head coach Shelley George said she has a clear advantage moving forward because of her familiarity with the program’s culture.

“Olivia has grown up on the outside looking in,” George said. “She’s been able to see what the program is all about, the energy that we bring and the level of play that’s there.”

When the time came for Messineo to make her college decision, she was tempted at the chance to leave home. She pondered leaving a familiar community, and embracing a new set of challenges of getting away.

But Messineo came to the conclusion that she would be most comfortable attending Syracuse and surrounding herself with people who would ease her transition to the collegiate level.

“It’s been quite the learning curve for me so far,” Messineo said. “Being with these girls, it has helped me improve my game. These are a great group of girls.”

Messineo has adjusted to the lack of playing time in her first season with the Orange. It has been a different experience for her, as she is used to excelling on the tennis court. Before coming to Syracuse, she had an 80-9 record in four seasons at Christian Brothers Academy.

Yet her infectious energy has made her a valuable asset on the team in practice and in the locker room.

“She likes to show off her energy,” senior Maddie Kobelt said. “She is always cheering on her teammates and always showing off those fist pumps. She’s one of the few that picked up on that real fast.”

Messineo might not receive the playing time she has hoped for, but that doesn’t mean her first year at SU hasn’t lived up to expectations.

She believes it’s important to grow as a person both on and off the tennis court.

And so far, playing at her dream school has allowed her to do so.

“Now I’m not watching it anymore from four courts away,” Messineo said. “At first it was really weird, but it’s really cool to be a part of this.

“I’m very grateful for that.”