Fraternity and Sorority Affairs

Former student pleads guilty to a felony drug charge, will receive 5 years probation

A former Syracuse University student who was living in Alpha Chi Rho and arrested in September on several felony and misdemeanor drug charges pleaded guilty Wednesday in exchange for five years of probation.

Patrick Jackson, 24, of Stamford, Conn., pleaded guilty to felony third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance for having cocaine with the intent to sell it. Sentencing was set for May 14.

On Sept. 26, Syracuse police detectives executed a search warrant at AXP as the result of “a narcotics investigation.” Police later arrested Jackson after they found 4.23 ounces of cocaine; 15.6 grams of marijuana; and $5,560 in cash.

The felony complaint against Jackson said police also found two digital scales, three cellphones and zip-close bags. All of these items “clearly indicate” Jackson “was involved in the distribution of illegal narcotics in and around the Syracuse University campus,” according to the complaint.

The cocaine recovered was the equivalent of more than 1,000 individual doses, according to the complaint. The document says that amount of cocaine has a street value of more than $5,000.

Jackson and his attorney, Emil Rossi, declined to be interviewed after the guilty plea.

Police initially charged Jackson with:

• Felony second- and third-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance
• Misdemeanor seventh-degree criminal possession of a controlled substance
• Two counts of misdemeanor second-degree criminal use of drug paraphernalia
• The violation of unlawful possession of marijuana

During the appearance, Jackson folded his hands and occasionally looked down.

County Court Judge Joseph Fahey asked Jackson questions to make sure he understood he was waiving rights such as the grand jury process and appeals.

“Do you understand you’re pleading guilty to a felony?” Fahey asked.

“Yes, your honor,” Jackson said.

Fahey said Jackson would be able to serve out the five years of probation in Connecticut. As part of the guilty plea, the $5,560 police seized from Jackson’s room in AXP was forfeited.

In a November interview, Eddie Banks-Crosson, SU’s Director of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs said AXP was “exonerated” about a week after Jackson’s arrest and would not face sanctions.