Crime

DPS arrests man after ‘disturbance’ call on Chinook Drive

UPDATED: March 30, 2014 at 10:29 p.m.

A Brooklyn man was arrested after the Department of Public Safety responded to a call about a “disturbance” on Thursday night, DPS Chief Tony Callisto said.

Nicholas White, 19, was arrested on the charges of misdemeanor fourth-degree criminal mischief and second-degree harassment, a violation. He is not a Syracuse University student.

The disturbance involved a “physical struggle” with another person and caused damage to property, Callisto said. Officers were called to Chinook Drive at about 10:30 p.m.

Callisto said he could only provide limited information. Syracuse police Sgt. Tom Connellan did not return a call about the arrest.

City Court Judge Vanessa Bogan on Friday set bail at $2,500 cash or bond, according to jail records. White is being held in the Onondaga County Justice Center. It’s unclear if he has a lawyer.

At least six police cars — half DPS and half SPD — blocked off part of the road on the 400 block of Chinook Drive, preventing South Campus buses from getting through. Officers stood outside an apartment there for more than an hour, before leaving at about 11:40 p.m. A Rural/Metro ambulance was also called to the street.

None of the students who answered their doors on the 400 block of Chinook wanted to talk about what happened. “No, sorry,” one student said. Another suggested contacting the police department.

White is due back in court on Tuesday, according to jail records.

The Daily Orange will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.