Columnists

Zukin: Seasonal Affective Disorder has potential to harm students, should be treated seriously

Given the current stigma with depression in general, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) does not seem like the most serious of problems. However, in a place like Syracuse, the weather means a lot more than just small talk.

We have all been there. The cold, gray morning when class does not seem like an option. Then that morning turns into the entire day and that day turns into a week. And you are still in bed.

The constant snowfall and lack of sunlight result in decreased mood, anxiety, inability to concentrate, carbohydrate craving and irritability. From an outsider’s perspective, it can be hard to differentiate between a cranky college student and a seriously depressed individual.

SU needs to increase awareness of this disorder. The Counseling Center is already available for any student who makes an appointment free of cost, however many students may be experiencing symptoms without even realizing it.

The Counseling Center should educate students on the symptoms of SAD and ways to treat waves of depression. Especially students who come from out of state, these dark winter days can take their tolls.

Although there are always anti-depressants if cases reach a certain level of severity, the most immediate way to efficiently produce endorphins is through exercise. But considering that sometimes showering is too much of a struggle, I highly doubt that saddened souls will want to trek to the gym.

Before getting to that level, it could be a good idea to invest in a light box. Light boxes are thought to affect brain chemicals linked to mood, such as the light-sensitive hormone, melatonin. Thus, light therapy can reduce levels of melatonin.

Melatonin is the hormone that is tied to a human’s internal body clock. During winter, melatonin is often produced later in the day, which in turn makes a person more tired. If melatonin levels are decreased, a person should in theory be less tired and therefore less lethargic.

Light boxes do not work right away. In order for a light box to be successful, a person must utilize it daily for a certain amount of time each session. Health and counseling services can also direct students to nearby facilities that have more powerful light boxes.

Treatments for SAD are similar to treatments for general depression. For example, it is crucial to stay away from processed foods or complex carbohydrates, something that is much easier said than done, especially when SAD causes carb cravings.

If a brutal carb craving comes, reach for fruit or veggies instead of a bagel or slice of pizza. Healthy foods provide more energy in the long-term. This is important because, in addition to affecting sleep patterns, melatonin affects and usually decreases energy levels.

Taking a simple Vitamin D supplement can also make up for the Vitamin D that is lost during the winter months. Vitamin D heavy foods include fish and dairy, but the most popular supplement is cod liver oil.

Cod liver oil is one of the best sources of omega-3 fatty acids in addition to its high amounts of Vitamin A and D. It can also aid wounded teeth, nails, hair and skin — parts of the body that are often attacked during the winter season.

Do not use SAD as an excuse to skip class and binge on Netflix, because it is a legitimate disorder. In fact, the very people who trivialize its symptoms are the culprits of SAD’s stigma.

If you are concerned about the mental health of a peer or friend, do not wait to contact the SU Counseling Center or another authoritative figure. If there is an immediate emergency regarding yourself or others, please use the emergency hotline number (315-443-4715).

In the meantime, there are only two and a half weeks until spring break, so set a tropical background on your computer and let the countdown begin.

Meg Zukin is a freshman television, radio and film major. Her column appears every Wednesday in Pulp. Email her at [email protected] and follow her on Twitter at @MargaretTZukin.