University Union

Zedd, 2 Chainz to perform at Block Party April 25

UPDATED: Feb. 23, 2014, 9:29 p.m.

Grammy award winning EDM artist Zedd will headline Block Party on April 25 in the Carrier Dome, along with rapper 2Chainz and DJ Brazzabelle.

There will be an online only student pre-sale starting Monday at 10 a.m. through Ticketmaster. Full-time SU and State University of New York of Environmental Science and Forestry students may purchase up to four tickets, with student tickets costing $20 each, according to a University Union press release.

Kelly Benini, UU’s concert director, said the organization aims to diversify the genres it brings to campus throughout the year, as well as cater to what students want.

“This is our biggest event of the year so we wanted to create a lineup with two of the biggest genres on campus,” Benini said.

She added that they were influenced partly by the success of Juice Jam this past fall, which featured rapper Kendrick Lamar and EDM artist Nicky Romero.

“That show sold out with an EDM supporting act and a hip hop headliner, so that’s a combination we found works on this campus,” Benini said.

Benini said UU began looking into booking artists for Block Party in December. UU takes social media reactions into account when choosing artists, she added, and the organization also held focus groups to get input from students.

Zedd gained national attention for his singles “Clarity” featuring Foxes, and “Stay the Night” featuring Hayley Williams. Benini said Zedd was one of the most popular artists on last year’s Juice Jam survey.

2Chainz will also be performing at Block Party. The rapper is known for his single “I’m Different” as well as his appearances on singles such as “Mercy,” with rappers Kanye West, Pusha T and Big Sean.

Tickets will go on sale for the general public starting Friday at 10 a.m. through Ticketmaster and the Carrier Dome Box Office, with those tickets costing $30 each.

Doors for the show will open at 6:30 p.m. on April 25, with the concert beginning at 7 p.m.