New Syracuse Stadium

Syverud passes up university involvement on stadium task force

Syracuse University Chancellor Kent Syverud has decided not to appoint anyone to serve on Mayor Stephanie Miner’s Stadium Task Force.

The mayor created the task force to study the feasibility and potential effects of building a proposed new stadium in Syracuse.

In a letter written to the mayor Feb. 7, Syverud said he had decided to undertake SU’s own internal analysis of options for addressing the replacement or renovation of the Carrier Dome.

“It has become clear to me that the momentum to arrive at a quick decision on this opportunity, along with the necessary funding to support it, has, at least for the time being, subsided,” Syverud said in the letter.

He added that while the mayor’s task force will “study the impact any proposed new stadium would have on nearby neighborhoods, municipal structure and economic development,” he considers it his “purview” to consider renovation or replacement of the Dome as a university responsibility.

“Therefore,” Syverud said, “I feel the best course of action is for the university and city to undertake these analyses separately, and commit to future good faith conversations once both processes are complete.”

Kevin Quinn, SU senior vice president for public affairs, said in an email that the chancellor made the decision not to appoint anyone before sending the letter. Quinn added that he didn’t have any details to share on what specifically will happen moving forward.

Alexander Marion, the mayor’s press secretary, said he was unable to answer questions Wednesday evening.