Ice Hockey

Syracuse has strong weekend on the road with two-game sweep of Lindenwood

With conference playoffs less than two weeks away, Syracuse (18-11-3, 9-6-3 Conference Hockey America) took care of business with a weekend sweep of Lindenwood (5-23-2, 5-12-1) in St. Charles, Mo.

On Friday, the Orange cruised to a 5-2 victory after dominating the first period.

Larissa Martyniuk scored off assists from Caitlin Roach and Margot Scharfe eight minutes into the first period for a 1-0 lead, and an onslaught of goals from the Orange followed.

Jessica Sibley and Cara Johnson both scored late in the first period to provide Syracuse with a three-goal cushion.

Five minutes into the second period, Roach delivered with a goal of her own that extended the Orange’s lead to 4-0. The deficit loomed large for Lindenwood, who did not have the offensive firepower produce a comeback.

Kendra Broad scored 4:09 into the third period to put the Tigers on the scoreboard. But Syracuse forward Nicole Renault added the team’s fifth goal midway through the final period.

Lindenwood’s Katie Erickson added the final goal scored 13:38 in the third period, with the game already out of reach.

On Saturday, the Tigers responded to their tough loss by stifling the Orange through two periods of play.

Lindenwood scored first with a goal by Caitlyn Post with 18:48 elapsed into the second period to secure its first lead of the weekend.

But the Orange bounced back by scoring two goals less than two minutes apart. Allie LaCombe scored off a Martyniuk assist 5:33 into the third period to tie the game at 1-1.

Eighty-nine seconds later, Sadie St. Germain followed with the team’s second goal that provided the Orange with a 2-1 lead, which would not be relinquished.

Syracuse travels to Rochester Friday night for an in-conference matchup with Rochester Institute of Technology.

compiled by Matt Miselis, staff writer, [email protected]