SU Rising calls for students, community to combat violence against women

Syracuse University students and faculty spoke out against violence and oppression toward women Friday night in Hendricks Chapel.

The event, titled “SU Rising,” is part of the 1 Billion Rising for Justice movement, a campaign that 1 billion people across the world to advocate for an end to violence against women. Several organizations and student groups, including the Advocacy Center at SU, Vera House, A Men’s Issue and Students Advocating Sexual Safety and Empowerment, joined the cause.

Tiffany Steinwert, dean of Hendricks Chapel, opened the performances by describing the reality of violence against women and what the implications of combatting it can be.

“We come in this darkness, a literal darkness, but also in a darkness that has set in the reality of violence on our campus, in our communities, in our country and our own world,” Steinwert said.

She added that those who stand up to women’s abuse will be the light that casts away the darkness of violence.

Zinda Dance, a Bollywood fusion dance troupe that co-sponsorored of the event, performed a number after Tula Goenka, an associate professor of television, radio and film, gave a statement. Goenka spoke about how SU Rising serves as a way to announce “this is enough” to violence and oppression.

Chris Gucciardo, a member of A Men’s Issue, recited a poem following his declaration that he would not tolerate injustice and disrespectful behavior on SU’s campus.

“The more every one of us appreciates our education of anti-violence in this world and becomes empowered by our experiences, the more truth we can bring to this world,” Gucciardo said. “We are beautiful, and we can educate. We are empowered and we are just.”

Gucciardo illustrated a world where he said violence was a forgotten language of the past and men and women were all truly free in his speech. Nikhil Winodh, a member of the South Asian Student Association, added to the same concept when she read a story that visualized the pain women and their families suffer through abusive relationships.

Individuals must also remember that it is important to speak out and protect each other, said Janet Epstein, the director of the Advocacy Center. She added that the center offers many forms of aid and is always a resource for students.

To conclude the program, members of Students Advocating Sexual Safety and Empowerment performed a number from the Vagina Monologues. The Vagina Monologues are a series theatrical performances designed to educate audiences about issues regarding gendered violence. SASSE produces the Vagina Monologues in hopes of creating and living in a more just world.

SU Rising ended with a candlelight vigil held at the base of Hendricks Chapel’s stairs. Each attendee was given a candle, and a circle formed around Steinwert, the dean of Hendricks.

Steinwert said the words “we are the light,” while she called on the group to repeat the chant after her.

Mary Mik, a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences, also joined in the candlelight vigil outside of Hendricks. She said she learned of the event through an Everyday Heroes appearance, and added that she felt inspired by the cause.

Mik said she came to the event with her friend, Sarah Mikal, a sophomore economics major. Although Mik said they shivered in the freezing cold, she said they were glad to come out to support the movement.

“The speeches were very insightful,” Mikal said. “We all have been a victim of assault or even micro violence, and I think we’re all connected to it.”