L.C. Smith

Student group organizes S.T.E.M events, workshop

The Syracuse University chapter of the National Society of Black Engineers will kick off its sixth annual NSBE Week starting next Monday. This year, NSBE leaders hope to involve others outside of the engineering path in addition to those enrolled in the L.C. Smith College of Engineering and Computer Science.

This year’s NSBE Week will focus on science, technology, engineering and mathematics, or “S.T.E.M.,” said Patrina Bailey, the secretary for the SU chapter of NSBE. Starting the week of Feb. 10, each day of the week will feature a different workshop, she added.

NSBE week celebrates engineering on campus, said Nate Rose, president of the SU chapter of NSBE.

“We really don’t get a chance to enjoy and celebrate what we do, so it’s a debut of different disciplines in engineering,” he said.

Rose, a senior computer engineering major, added that the workshops apply to more than just engineering students.

Monday’s workshop in Slocum Hall is a screening of the documentary “The Science of Sex Appeal.” The screening will run in conjunction with the Rebecca Lee Pre-Health Society, a group for students interested in entering medical, dental and veterinary schools, Rose said.

Bailey, a sophomore mechanical engineering major, said NSBE will hold an iStudy tutoring program in Hinds Hall on Tuesday night, a LinkedIn informational meeting on Wednesday, math Jeopardy on Thursday night and a flight simulator is scheduled for Saturday.

A date auction will be held on Valentine’s Day, Rose said. Participants will bid on 24 contestants to go on dates that evening, he added. Rose said while the bidding starts at $15, bids will be counted with a 1-5 ratio. This means that for every five-dollar bid, the bidder will actually pay one dollar.

Rose said the NSBE has been working with local businesses such as King David’s Restaurant, Acropolis Pizza House and restaurants in Destiny USA to provide free venues for the dates.

The money raised by the auction will be go to UNICEF, Bailey said. Rose added that currently, UNICEF looks to help children in the Philippines, Syria and Africa.

Some of the events are being held in conjunction with other student organizations.
The National Association of Black Journalists will participate in the LinkedIn meeting, and the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers will partake in the date auction, Rose said.

Rose said he hopes the events this year will attract the attention of all students, not just engineers. In particular, Rose said he wants to encourage first-year student involvement in the NSBE.

The organization hopes to prepare a variety of students — not just black engineers, but minorities in general — for future academic success.

Said Bailey: “NSBE Week is something we want everyone to know about. We want our name to get out on campus, not just for engineers, because we want everyone to attend.”