Senior WR Flemming will return for 5th season

During his national signing day press conference Wednesday, Scott Shafer took a moment to field a question about a senior wide receiver.

The Syracuse head coach confirmed that Adrian Flemming, who suffered a season-ending lower-body injury during SU’s season opener against Penn State last year, will use 2013 as a redshirt season and return for the 2014 campaign.

“Flem’s coming back,” Shafer said. “He looks good. He’s running around. He’s excited.”

A 6-foot-3, 200-pound wideout from Ashburn, Va., Flemming started the first game of his career against the Nittany Lions and hauled in two receptions for 18 yards. He was one of the Orange’s most targeted receivers during that game, but after the game it was announced that he would require surgery.

Flemming also played in 12 games as a sophomore and five as a junior, primarily on special teams.

He will return to a wide receiver corps with much more depth than he left it. Brisly Estime, Jeremiah Kobena and Alvin Cornelius all made starts during the season and became viable options for SU, and all three are returning.

Syracuse also added four-star wide receiver K.J. Williams in this year’s recruiting class, as well as three-star wideouts Steve Ishmael and Corey Cooper — who is already on campus — and tight ends Jamal Custis and  Adly Enoicy.

Flemming, though, will still be part of the equation.

“His body’s in great shape,” Shafer said. “His legs are looking good — he says he’s got the bounce back into his legs — and we’re excited to get him back out there, too.”