Letters to the Editor

Resident expresses anger about protection of airport concession jobs

I write to express dismay at the Syracuse Regional Airport Authority and its apparent disinterest in ensuring that 45 current concession workers at the Syracuse Hancock International Airport keep their jobs. What’s done appears done. The Authority has selected Creative Food Group (CFG) to replace the existing operator, DNC. Operations will turn over by April 1. It is worth noting that the federal government issued a complaint against CFG in June 2013 alleging threats, interrogation and a reprisal against airport concession workers seeking to exercise their federally protected right to organize at Baltimore-Washington International Airport. The company ultimately chose to settle with the government on these charges.

In a letter dated Jan. 14, 2014, I made an effort to make sure the Authority understood that they have options to protect these jobs, and to introduce a policy at least allowing the existing workforce to become probationary employees under CFG’s employ. As part of its brief response, the chair of the airport authority, William Fisher, indicated, “It would not be appropriate for the Authority to seek to require or influence CFG (Creative Food Group) to conduct its business in a manner other than which it knows best.” Unfortunately, Mr. Fisher, we know the manner in which CFG conducted business at BWI. Syracuse and its workers deserve better treatment for their years of service to visitors and residents.

Ann Marie Taliercio

President

UNITEHERE Local 150, AFL-CIO

CNY Area Labor Federation, AFL-CIO

Syracuse