Peterson makes 1st career start for Syracuse, dishes out nine assists in blowout loss

Logan Reidsma | Staff Photographer

Syracuse guard Alexis Peterson started for the first time Thursday night. She played well, but Florida State throttled SU.

All season long, Syracuse head coach Quentin Hillsman has talked about how he has three capable point guards. On Thursday, that statement was put to the test.

With first-and second-string point guards Rachel Coffey and Cornelia Fondren sidelined due to illness, freshman Alexis Peterson started the first game of her college career.

Peterson played a career-high 34 minutes, handing out nine assists and committing just two turnovers. But the rookie’s performance wasn’t nearly enough to propel the Orange to a win. Syracuse (17-8, 6-6 Atlantic Coast) fell convincingly to Florida State (17-7, 5-6), 83-59, in front of 428 fans at the Carrier Dome.

“When you take two players out of your lineup who normally give you major minutes, you’re going to struggle a little bit,” Hillsman said. “I have to give Alexis credit. She played 34 minutes, nine assists, two turnovers – that’s a tremendous ratio.”

Hillsman said Coffey and Fondren were ruled out a few hours before game time, but Peterson said she knew Wednesday night she would get the starting nod. Before Thursday’s game, both Coffey and Fondren texted Peterson telling her to settle down and let the game come to her.

“I just felt like it was a normal game,” Peterson said. “I thought I played fairly decent. I think I could have done something more to help the team out as far as not turning the ball over.”

Peterson dished her first assist of the night – a Brianna Butler 3-pointer – just two minutes into the game, giving SU an early 9-2 lead.

Although Peterson said she always looks to get her teammates involved early, her teammates missed 13 shots in the next 10 minutes and fell behind 20-13.

In a span of 3:22 seconds, Peterson racked up assists two, three, four and five.

With 8:22 to go in the half, the crafty guard maneuvered into the paint and slid a nice pass to freshman center Bria Day, who laid a shot off the glass to cut the Seminoles’ lead to 20-15. Moments later, Peterson found guard Brittney Sykes for a jump shot on the right elbow, bringing SU to within eight at 25-17.

And by the time Peterson found Day for a layup with five minutes to go in the half, FSU held an even bigger lead at 30-21.

The player Hillsman sometimes calls “Petey” played 19-of-20 minutes in the first half and handed out five assists. But SU still trailed 42-26.

Peterson began the second half where she left off in the first, assisting on a Butler corner 3 that cut the deficit to 42-29.

But the second half wasn’t nearly as productive for the freshman.

FSU forward Lauren Coleman hit a 3 in Peterson’s face to make the score 64-37. Moments later, Peterson was somehow left alone with 6-foot-3 Natasha Howard, who scored easily underneath the basket.

Peterson shook her head. There was nothing she could do.

On the next possession, Peterson once again found herself left alone with Howard – who finished with an FSU school record 40 points. Peterson committed a foul, but Howard still made the shot.

Three of Peterson’s assists came in the final 1:41. The cutting Peterson picked up a deflection near the semi-circle and kicked out a pass to Phelysha Bullard, who knocked down the jumper.

Twice in the final minute Peterson found La’Shay Taft for 3-pointers.

On a night when Syracuse lost by 24 points, Peterson was one bright spot for the Orange.

Said Florida State head coach Sue Semrau: “I thought Peterson stepped in and did an admirable job.”