Pulp

Hummus Where the Heart Is: Goodies pairs authentic Lebanese cuisine with retro diner appearance

Songs by Lebanese singer Nancy Ajram playing over the speakers of an old-fashioned diner is an odd mix, but Goodies Mediterranean Grill & Cuisine, located on James Street, pulled it off.

When I first walked in, I felt like I was in a 1950s diner, and almost asked the waiter if they served strawberry milkshakes. The setting looked almost like a mini Johnny Rockets; the décor colored with dark reds and bright yellows. Ornaments like teapots, cups, candles and picture frames from Lebanon were displayed on a shelf — the setup looked out of place.

Goodies’ menu consists mostly of homemade Greek and Lebanese food. However, the restaurant does have a few out of theme menu items, like eggplant parmesan and burgers. The chef and owners come up with the menu items together, testing recipes with customers by offering dishes as a weekly or daily chef special, which I ordered. Every recipe is inspired from their family’s recipe, and each bite tastes as if you’re eating in their home kitchen.

I like Mediterranean food for its seasoned meats and accompanying vegetables. I also enjoy the use of spices and herbs in their salads, meat and veggie side dishes. Most of all, I love the nuts and honey used in their desserts.

I tasted the kafta, the chef’s special, for $9.99, stuffed zucchini, for $9.99, and the appetizers, baba ganoush, grape leaves and falafel, which was $7.99. For dessert, I had the baklava with walnuts for $2.

My meal started with a Greek salad, which I thought would be the traditional type of salad with no leaves, but this one had iceberg lettuce. The garlic salt sprinkled on top was possibly too generous and as well as the sprinkle of feta cheese.

The waiter brought the dishes out fast, and the entrées came out before I finished half of my salad. I ate the kafta, which is seasoned ground beef. I appreciated that the meat wasn’t overly seasoned to extreme saltiness like the salad was, and it wasn’t greasy. A side of hummus and grilled onions and green peppers were served with the meat.

I put all four ingredients in the complimentary pita bread and held the bundle like a taco.

Before making myself a new bundle to enjoy, I jumped to the appetizers. The falafel was packed with herbs and seasonings. It was delicious, but almost a bit too salty for me. My favorite was the baba ganoush, which is like hummus, but made with eggplant instead of chickpeas.

The chef fire-grilled the eggplants to perfection before puréeing it into a baba ganoush: I could taste the smokey flavor through the tahini sauce.

I got distracted from the appetizers when my next entrée came out — zucchini stuffed with meat and rice. It tasted similar to the grape leaves I had as an appetizer. It seemed to me that the chef used the same stuffing, just different vegetables. The stuffed squash had subtle flavors that were comforting in the same way that a vegetable soup is.

After a few bites, I drizzled cucumber yogurt sauce to add extra flavor and a velvety finish. Every taste after that was smooth and delicious.

I could never resist anything with flaky pastry dough and honey, so I ordered the baklava with walnuts. Every drip of honey, every thin flaky pastry sheet and every crunch of walnut was irresistible.

I could not get enough of the sweet, buttery flavor and the chewy, crispy and crunchy texture. I plan on going back to Goodies Mediterranean Grill & Cuisine for more.

This restaurant has a strong family vibe, where regular patrons are treated like family. You’ll enjoy your food while listening to Lebanese music and the staff will have you feel more intrigued and curious about their culture. This staff transformed an American diner into their own cultural sanctuary, ready to share their heritage when you walk in.