Football kicker sentenced for resisting arrest, unlawful possession of alcohol

A Syracuse City Court judge ruled on Monday that a kicker on the Syracuse University football team who was arrested in October for resisting arrest and unlawful possession of alcohol complete 30 hours of community service. 

If Ryan Norton completes the community service and stays out of additional legal trouble, the case will be dismissed after six months. 

Norton, 19, was arrested at 2:05 a.m. Oct. 25 on the 200 block of Waverly Avenue. He was drinking a 24-ounce Bud Light outside of Acropolis Pizza House when a cop car pulled up along side him, according to a police report.

The report then states he ignored the police’s commands to come over to the car. Norton put down the beer and said, ‘I’m not going anywhere,” and ran off before officers tackled him, according to the report. On the ground, he repeated, “Stop, I’m sorry,” but continued resisting, according to the misdemeanor information against him. 

Five days later, Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer issued a statement that said Norton had been suspended for SU’s game against Wake Forest for “a violation of team rules.” 

During the court appearance, Norton stood next to his attorney, Kim Zimmer, as she discussed the community service conditions with Limpert. After the brief exchange, Norton and Zimmer left the crowded city courtroom.

When the appearance had concluded, Zimmer said that pending completion of the community service, Norton is “done” with the fallout from the arrest.

Norton declined to answer questions after the appearance.