Recruiting

Florida skill players prepare to help Syracuse right away

Speed and skill.

If Scott Shafer knows anything after national signing day, he knows that he’s getting two things from the state of Florida.

With the help of George McDonald and a rally started by signee Alin Edouard after his commitment in October, Syracuse inked five Sunshine State players to its incoming class. That group includes a dual-threat quarterback in Edouard, two big-play receivers in Steve Ishmael and Adly Enoicy and two talented cornerbacks in Antwan Cordy and Cordell Hudson.

The Florida game is fast and hinges on big plays, and Shafer is excited to bring five electric players into the program.

“They’re all playmakers on both sides of the ball that we’ve recruited from down there,” Shafer said. “It’s good to have some kids to come in and bolster our speed and skills from way down at the bottom.”

Edouard talked about how McDonald has been following him for a few years now.

The three-star quarterback — who was once committed to play at Miami (Fla.) — said that McDonald was always interested in his academics and general well-being, not just his prowess on the football field.

“A lot of coaches that talk to us down here are all about football,” Edouard said. “But McDonald was always interested in me as a student and learning about me. All of us down here appreciate that.”

And after Syracuse grabbed Edouard, the flood ensued.

All four of the other Florida commits came, and more importantly chose the Orange over programs with higher pedigrees.

Enoicy opted for Syracuse instead of Auburn, Florida, Florida State and South Carolina, among other top schools, according to Scout.com. Ishmael had offers from Oregon and Louisville, among others. Dowels could have gone to Clemson.

“Florida’s really taking over,” Ishmael said.

Instead they all chose to toss aside the sunshine for the inclement weather of Central New York.

The turbulent recruiting trail is behind them and the four coldest years of their lives — as well as four years of Florida-brand football — lies ahead.

Said Ishmael: “Coming from Florida, that cold is going to scare all of us. But if I have my jacket, I’ll be all good.”