New Syracuse Stadium

Syverud to work with city, county on Carrier Dome renovations

UPDATED: JAN. 14, 11:44 P.M.

Syracuse University is still working with the city of Syracuse and Onondaga County on how to tackle the Carrier Dome’s need for renovations, according to a statement released by Chancellor Kent Syverud on Tuesday.

“As much as I would like to have all questions about all alternatives answered on my first day as Chancellor, the development of any similar facility is challenging,” he said in the statement. “The process is dynamic and requires coordination to be successful.  I am monitoring the process and aggressively seeking answers.”

Syverud said he will not pursue a specific plan for the renovations until each option has been fully considered. He said he hopes the public understands why he and other community leaders want to ask all relevant questions on each alternative before reaching a final decision.

Syverud said the city, the county and the university have worked well together in the past, saying there needs to be communication and honesty about their interests and how projects such as renovating the Dome will affect everyone.

“I am committed to continuing to work together to meet the challenge presented in this analysis,” he said in the statement. “Whatever conclusion we reach, our collective objective will be to find a solution that is best for the university and the community.”

Kevin Quinn, senior vice president for public affairs, said in an email that there is currently no timeline for discussion.

Joe Giansante, executive senior associate athletics director, did not return two calls for comment.