Editorial Board

Students should voice opinions on smoking ban

Thursday’s public debate on the topic of whether Syracuse University should ban tobacco on its campus was a necessary conversation that should be extended to more of the campus community.

The debate was hosted by the Campbell Public Affairs Institute of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs. The discussion centered on the adverse effects smoking has on non-smokers, specifically second-hand smoke.

University of Michigan public health professor Cliff Douglas and former Student Association Vice President Duane Ford argued that second-hand smoke is still harmful to bystanders when they are outside. New York state Sen. John DeFrancisco and former SA President Allie Curtis argued that second-hand smoke is only harmful indoors.

After the discussion of the effects tobacco has on non-smokers, the debate expanded beyond those who make the decision to expose themselves to tobacco.

Though the debate provided both smokers and non-smokers a personal stake in the matter, the efforts of SU’s leaders must be focused on getting more students to provide their input on the issue.

Thursday’s debate was an important step toward getting more community members involved in the discussion, but many more student leaders and organizations should become part of the discussion and voice their opinions. If more people are involved, coming to a decision on whether SU should impose a ban will be easier.

Different student groups on campus must be approached so their opinion on the issue can be taken into consideration. If groups are actively approached, members of the SU community will be more aware that a discussion about a smoke-free campus is taking place.

By stimulating discussion among a broader base of students, organizations like SA can create a sense of urgency to come to a decision, whether that means passing a resolution to ban tobacco or continuing to allow smoking on campus. Increasing awareness can make the process more efficient.

Since this resolution will affect the SU community for many years, it is important that leaders talk to as many students as possible before a decision is made. SU students should be the ones who decide whether they will live on a smoke-free campus, but first they must be aware that a proposition is on the table.