Staats, Iacono officially join Syracuse with two years of eligibility remaining

The transfer of attack Randy Staats and midfielder Mike Iacono have been processed and the pair have joined No. 2 Syracuse, the team announced Monday. Both players are juniors and have two years of eligibility remaining.

Staats comes to the Orange after a two-year career at Onondaga Community College where he logged a school-record 295 points and 165 assists. Twice the National Junior College Offensive Player of the Year, he led the Lazers to two national championships and a spotless 37-0 record during his two seasons.

“Randy was a prolific player in junior college and we’re hoping that his skills and abilities translate to the Division I level,” SU head coach John Desko said in an SU Athletics release. “He’s very talented. He can score. He can feed. He’s got great stick skills and a great sense of the game.”

Staats was not present at Syracuse’s media day last Monday, as he was completing schoolwork at OCC and could not enroll at SU yet. In accordance with NCAA regulations, Desko did not comment at media day on questions regarding Staats’ status.

A product of Nassau Community College on Long Island, Iacono is a face-off specialist. The 6-foot-5, 215-pound midfielder was a two-time All-American at NCC. The statistics are incomplete, but of all Iacono’s recorded face-offs, he won an impressive 78 percent.

Considering the Orange’s season-long issues at the X last year, Iacono could earn significant playing time immediately if he fares well enough.

“He’s another one that had great success in junior college,” Desko said in the release. “He’s pretty athletic. He has good physical size. If he can win face-offs for us, I think he’s a guy that can make good decisions with the ball in his stick and be an offensive threat.”