From the calendar

Space jam: NASA fair gives students chance to hands-on experience with science, technology

Courtesy of Mary Wood

Past NASA Maker Faire participants try out one of the many activities available.

The spring semester is just beginning, which means many students will be looking to flee from the flood of syllabi coming their way. An escape to outer space might just be what the doctor ordered.

This Saturday, Le Moyne College is hosting its own NASA Mini Maker Faire on its campus from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. People of all ages can participate in activities that focus on the fun side of science and technology. Admission is free for anyone who would like to take part. Mary Wood, the event coordinator, said attendees can expect an event where like-minded people can experience science in a new way.

“The flier couldn’t contain the magic of getting so many people together to celebrate their own curiosity,” Wood said.

A number of hands-on activities will be featured that are intended to apply the space exploration discipline to everyday life, or simply let people experience technology that they may not typically have access to.

You don’t need to be a rocket scientist to enjoy the event.

There will be more than 20 featured “adventure stations” where the average person can see what a day in the life of a NASA scientist is like. The stations will simulate many types of natural events and tests that the scientists deal with, from earthquake tests on boats and bridges to astronaut training on Le Moyne’s “floating track.” Attendees will also have the chance to talk to NASA’s two newest solar system ambassadors about samples collected from Mars and the moon.

On which station might draw the most visitors, Wood said she “can’t imagine which will be most popular.”

CNY FunFlicks, an event specialists group, will have a giant movie screen on display at the event for screenings.

This event can also appeal to those looking for volunteer hours. From 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., volunteers can come to the event to help run the different stations around the Maker Faire. As an incentive, volunteers are given two hours during which they can explore all of the other stations.

“If they want to put on their resume that they worked for NASA for 10 hours, that doesn’t look bad,” Wood said.

Aside from science majors, Wood hopes students from all fields will come to enjoy the fair. She said students in majors ranging from education, to English, to history and everyone in between, can learn something new at the Faire.

“No one is without contact with science, technology, engineering and math,” Wood said. “We are scientists from our very core.”

While many may overlook the sponsor list, which includes National Grid, The Gifford Fund and NASA Summer of Innovation, among others, Wood indicated that it is one of the most important parts of the Maker Faire. She boasted about the number of companies that are supporting the event, stating that once NASA wrote the check, it was a catalyst for an array of sponsors to join the effort.

Said Wood: “If we can catch the fire on Saturday of the imagination of all the sponsors, this could be something that happens every year.”