Recruiting

Ishmael puts off commitment to national signing day

Three-star wide receiver Steve Ishmael will put off his verbal commitment to national signing day, he said Wednesday night.

“I am going to just wait until signing day,” Ishmael said. “I still want to look at the other schools and will make my decision then to see what school offers me the best opportunity.”

In early December, Ishmael called Syracuse University the No. 1 school on his list. The North Miami Beach, Fla., native is expected to arrive in Syracuse around 2:30 Friday afternoon for his official visit. Joining Ishmael on the trip will be Alin Edouard, a close friend and three-star quarterback who verbally committed to the Orange on Oct. 20.

Although Ishmael will finally see SU’s campus — an opportunity he’s waited a long time for — he said it’s unlikely that a decision will come during or at the end of the weekend.

Heading into the visit, Ishmael has chiseled his list down to Syracuse, Illinois, Louisville, Cincinnati and Nebraska, he said. He has also received offers from Oregon, Pittsburgh and Miami (Fla.), among other schools.

But the Orange has something no other program has: Edouard.

Ishmael said that Edouard accompanying him on his visit is “special” and something “no other school can offer.”

Said Ishmael: “Having him gives Syracuse an edge.”

The Orange has received verbal commitments from four-star receiver K.J. Williams and freshman Corey Cooper, who is enrolled and eligible to participate in all football-related activities, according to SU Athletics spokeswoman Sue Edson.

highclass

Comments

University Politics

University Senate approves degree completion support plan for students affected by immigration policies

The resolution passed on Wednesday states that if students affected by immigration policies complete 75 percent or more of the credits and requirements for their respective degrees, there would be “maximum opportunity” extended to facilitate completion of their degree program with Syracuse University credits. Read more »