From the Calendar

Ink up: 28th annual tattoo expo comes to Syracuse with competitions, exhibitions

Photo Courtesy of Jen Aldous

A participant at the Annual Am-Jam Tattoo Expo gets new ink. The event is back in Syracuse for its 28th year.

This weekend, international and local tattoo artists are going head to head, toe-to-toe, arm-to-arm — or any other place you might find a tattoo.

From Jan. 24 through Jan. 26, the 28th Annual Am-Jam Tattoo Expo will host the event at the Carrier Circle Best Western. Festivities include more than 20 different tattoo competitions including “Tattoo of the Day” and “Virgin Tattoo,” as well as the opportunity to show off your own art. Sideshow performer and artist, Lizardman, will perform said Jean Aldous, President of the Am-Jam.

The expo will feature more than 100 certified tattoo artists, and people can get inked on the spot. All of the prices vary on the particular artist, but the entry fee is only $10 for each individual day and $25 for the entire three-day event. This year’s theme will be military tattoos, as Aldous’ husband is a veteran.

Aldous said the event is a perfect opportunity to see the true art of tattooing.

“It’s not what it used to be,” she explained. “Even if you are not into tattooing, the art that is there can be transferred into any medium. It’s just a sight to see.”

The Am-Jam Tattoo Expo originally started 30 years ago with Aldous’ daughter wanting a tattoo. Her friends all had different suggestions as to where to go to get the best tattoo, and consequently, Aldous decided to gather all of the best tattoo artists at the time.

Aldous said she felt tattooing was popular because it allowed for “self-expression.” With 20 tattoos, she is planning to add another in memorandum for her dog.

“Each one of them means something to me. That what most people do. It’s put there for a reason. It’s not just done on a whim,” Aldous said.

The competitions this year will include a brand new category: the non-permanent tattoo. Competitors with henna or sharpie tattoos can also see who has the best design.

Aldous said no other tattoo competition has ever held an event on this scale before. Only those who are 18 or older can get a tattoo, but everyone, including children, is welcome to attend.

“It’s an opportunity for someone to come down and see ink — all different styles of ink. This is the place to see what is available,” Aldous said. “This is the place to bring your youngsters so that they don’t get it on someone’s kitchen table.”

The event promises a deeper appreciation for the art of tattooing, as well as a chance to get to know other people, Aldous said. It is common for friendships to be made on the simple question of one asking another about the inspiration behind their piercings or body ink.

As the tattoo world continues to grow, the intimacy of people bonding with their shared art remains cherished.

Said Aldous: “It’s a gathering of art-minded people and from all walks of life who come to the show, exchange ideas and laugh and it’s nothing to see someone else walk up to someone and meet for the first time, and the conversation begins. From the minute you walk in, it exudes of beauty.”