From the Box Office

Beta love: Futuristic film shows consequences of dependency on technology

Illustration by Natalie Riess | Art Director

On its surface, “Her” is a captivating and thought-provoking flick that asks a multitude of questions about life, love and long-distance relationships. But there’s a twist: It’s all with a computer.

Set in Los Angeles in the not-too-distant future, “Her” takes place in a world where technology is so advanced that it is ever-evolving and adapting, mimicking human behavior. Theodore Twombly, the main character played by Joaquin Phoenix, struggles to connect with longtime friends and strangers, as he is severely depressed in the wake of a separation and impending divorce from his wife Catherine, played by Rooney Mara.

Theodore’s loneliness and vulnerability are evident in Phoenix’s body language and speaking style, especially in the beginning of the movie. However, his life is changed when he purchases an operating system called OS1, which has ads touting, “It’s not just an operating system, it’s a consciousness.” The OS1 is programmed to learn from human interaction, and tailors its behavior to its user.

Director Spike Jonze, who kept the emotionally heavy film going with small, well-written gags throughout, incorporated a fitting soundtrack, featuring Arcade Fire. And the film also featured crisp images of downtown Shanghai, where much of “Her” was filmed.

The original script, which creates a believable future, was unlike many science fiction or romance stories, as the director was able to mesh the two genres seamlessly.

Upon starting up, Theodore’s OS1, voiced by Scarlett Johansson, names herself Samantha.  When Theodore asks how she decided on the name, Samantha says she read through an entire book of baby names in two-tenths of a second, and decided upon Samantha.

Theodore is fascinated by Samantha’s supercomputer capabilities, as well as her ability to form a personality, which he becomes attracted to. Still, she becomes a little too charming and eager to please Theodore to truthfully become her own character.

But Theodore, desperate for acceptance, develops a relationship with Samantha, taking her to places like the beach and to a carnival.

The character of Theodore is largely believable, as Phoenix expertly flips from elated to morose, excited to confused, in the way a man in his situation might. He can be hard to root for, however, as he corners himself into sadness repeatedly.

Seeming to finally be on the rebound after his separation from Catherine, Theodore arranges to meet her to sign the divorce papers, something both of them had been reluctant to do for months.

Catherine reacts in a particular biting manner to hearing that he’s dating his operating system, saying that since his inability to identify with real emotions doomed their marriage, dating his computer is perfect for him. This was a strong moment for the actress, who was mainly featured in flashback sequences from Theodore and Catherine’s marriage.

Though defensive to Catherine, Theodore begins to question his relationship with Samantha.

The rest of the film urges the viewer to raise questions about the way we use technology, as Theodore’s experience makes one think about the value of human interaction, the impossibility of controlling even those you love and how to find happiness.

Theodore’s longtime friend who helped him through his divorce, Amy, played by Amy Adams, also struggles for happiness, and the two often confide in each other through the course of the film. Adams’ character, though, was more melancholy than necessary.

But there were several scenes, such as a vacation Theodore takes, that seemed unnatural. Sometimes the film was able to create new wrinkles in the relationships between Theodore and those who surround him, but several failed to move along the plot.

All in all, “Her” is well-written, well-acted and well-filmed. It is a different kind of movie, but it is a serious film that makes the viewer think, but it does have genuinely hilarious moments.

It often moves quickly, and is often as complex as the operating systems themselves, but it is definitely a worthwhile watch.