Pulp

University Union brings film festival back to campus with new format

After a year-long hiatus, Syracuse University’s annual film festival will return to campus this April as a springboard for aspiring filmmakers.

The event, which is sponsored by University Union, will showcase student-made music videos, short films, trailers and animations. While a start time has yet to be determined, the event will be held April 4-6 in Watson Theatre and Gifford Auditorium in Huntington Beard Crouse Hall, and will be free to the public. Billy Ceskavich, UU’s president, said he hopes students will appreciate the festival and described it as a diverse event.

“It’s a great opportunity to see what students are doing on campus creatively,” Ceskavich said.

There are several categories for submissions — something new to the festival this year — each of which have a number of requirements. The official submission deadline is March 9, 2014, and films must fall into one of the following categories:

• Music videos: Five minutes maximum, with either original or adapted songs
  • Short films: Any genre, 12 minutes maximum
  • Film trailers: Two minutes maximum
  • Animations: Any genre and any length

Ceskavich said changes to the submission and presentation process and eligibility requirements will be the first steps to bringing the festival back on track after its break. While before there were no categories for submissions, Cesavich said he expects the addition to provide more guidance and incentives for aspiring filmmakers.

“We want quality films that stand out and are enjoyable,” said Ceskavich. “We’re hoping that a lot of good films will come out of this.”

To submit videos, applicants must be undergraduates at SU or the State University of New York College of Environmental Science and Forestry. Ceskavich said that student athletes are unable to apply because if one of them won, it would conflict with the rule that athletes are unable to receive “gifts of any kind.”

William Olivas, a director of cinemas for the film festival, said the judges will be looking for originality, effort, and “free-spiritedness” in submissions. Olivas said he believes getting involved on campus offers a lot of opportunities for students outside of the classroom. He also offered advice for anyone interested in the contest:

“Start creating, because as soon as you’re done, you can submit,” Olivas said. “Take advantage of the winter break.”

While the festival is still four months away, it has already began to pick up speed among students, Olivas said, noting that UU has already received positive inquiries and sent out information packets.

As a junior television, radio and film major, Olivas said he knows firsthand how difficult the film-making process can be. However, he urged students to continue working toward what they love.

Said Olivas: “It gives you the opportunity to do a lot with your time at SU. I’ve always been drawn to the film industry.”