Pulp

SU marching band to perform at Super Bowl pre-show

This year’s Super Bowl is about to become the SUper Bowl, as the NFL named Syracuse University’s marching band as one of two bands to play at the biggest football game of the year.

The NFL announced on Monday that both SU’s and Rutgers University’s marching bands will perform during the 48th Super Bowl’s pregame show on Feb. 2. The band is scheduled to play at 6 p.m., 30 minutes before kick-off, according to the NFL.

Justin Mertz, the SU marching band director, said the NFL reached out to him in November, and identified SU’s marching band as one of the premiere marching bands in the region. He said he was “flabbergasted” when he received the call.

“We feel great about it. It’s a great recognition of the hard work of the marching band and their ability to put out a great product,” he said.

Along with Rutgers, the NFL described them as “two of the finest marching bands in the New Jersey and New York region.”

Joanna Hunter, a representative from the NFL, said the league looked for marching bands in both regions because the 48th Super Bowl will be the first Super Bowl held in two different states.

“Syracuse University is one of the finest institutions in New York and [has] one of the finest marching bands in the state,” Hunter said. “We’re thrilled that SU could fit us into their schedule.”

The marching band, currently preparing its “Justin Timberlake half-time show” performance for the Dec. 27 Texas Bowl, will start preparations on an entirely new show for the Super Bowl, said Mertz. He added that the focus of the performance will demonstrate the “highlights of the New York and New Jersey flavor of the event.”

Mertz isn’t the only one looking forward to SU’s performance. Hunter said it was a thrill when she saw the band perform before.

“They will entertain the fans, celebrate the state of New York, put on a great show and help kick off Super Bowl XLVIII in the right way,” she said.

Allan Duso, the drumline section leader, said he and the other section leaders found out around Thanksgiving when Mertz made them all guess what their next big event would be.

“We couldn’t even fathom that it was the Super Bowl,” he said. “Nothing that we’ve done compares to the Super Bowl, which is the ultimate football experience.”

Duso, a senior television, radio and film major, said he was glad he stayed with the marching band until his senior year because of the opportunity to play at the game. He added that SU’s marching band will be ready for the show, and it will be interesting working with Rutgers.

Mertz said he’s not nervous at all for the performance, describing the SU marching band as “proud and professional,” adding that they are capable of delivering on the Super Bowl’s grand stage.

“It’s a huge honor for us and we are a real treasure at SU,” Mertz said. “It’s a real thrill to represent SU at an event like that.”