Crime

Man arrested in connection with credit union robbery

Syracuse police have charged a man in connection with the credit union robbery near SU on Dec. 20.

Nicholas Fiorini, 20, of Baldwinsville, was arrested and charged overnight on Monday with robbery in the first degree. The charges were given after he left a “threatening note” at a credit union next to Hair Trends and The Orange bar on South Crouse Avenue on Friday. He then ran out with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Officers arrested him after he robbed a second bank in Manlius on Monday.

Police identified Fiorini by confirming that surveillance photos from the State Employee Federal Credit Union on South Crouse Avenue matched the pictures taken at the M&T bank on Manlius Center Road.

Officers arrested Fiorini after a witness provided a license plate number and a description of Fiorini’s car – a white Volkswagon Jetta – which he used to flee from the M&T bank robbery.

The officers found Fiorini in a hotel room at the Clarion Suites, about 15 miles away from the bank he robbed in Manlius. Fiorini was only given charges in connection with the SEFCU robbery.

Fiorini was arraigned in Syracuse city court this morning, where Judge Kate Rosenthal sent him to the Onondaga County Justice Center on $100,000 cash or bond, according to a December 24 Post-Standard article.

Charges against Fiorini in connection with the Manlius bank robbery are still pending.